Scalloped potatoes = EPIC FAIL!

Page 2 / 2
karenz, Nov 8, 4:42am
That is what I suspected, suppose you could still get the big old ugly hard to peel variety from an organic store, hate it how things are blanded down now, tomatoes are tasteless and so are strawberries, stonefruit, the list goes on. (and I know I could grow my own but I am not in the position to be able to at the moment)

whitehead., Nov 8, 4:52am
i slice onion and potatoe thinly then i drop the lot into a pot of boiling water when it comes back to the boil about 3 minutes i drain and let steam dry then tip into my dish add milk and cheese and cook for 40mins . you still get the layers and it cooks right through . you can layer it with anything apple goes well and ive used left over gravy .its yummy

sofphie, Nov 8, 8:09pm
x1
Mines an old Alison Holst recipe about 30 years old. I slice potatoes and cook for just 5 mins, then layer with chopped onions, grated cheese, and pour over a can of cream of chicken soup mixed with 1/4 cup of milk (heated), top with grated cheese and sprinkled with paprika, cooks in about 45 mins, lovely reheated the next day as well.

artemis, Nov 9, 3:36am
An alternative is Oakhill Potatoes. Lots of recipes out there, I use Alison Holst's one. It has bacon and hardboiled eggs, which is good for a main dish or lunch but can be left out for a side dish. Very tasty, fail safe and everyone likes it.

eastie3, Nov 9, 5:27am
Ah, Oakhill Potatoes, aka Nurses Home Sunday night special.

rarogal, Nov 9, 6:15am
Definitely use cream and I sprinkle cheese over the top in the last 15minutes. I also add a little garlic-optional though.

falconhell2002, Nov 9, 7:50am
I thought you should not use glad wrap in the microwave!

kofia, Nov 14, 12:39am
My family can't get enough of this recipe:
For 4 adults I use -6 large potatoes, peel andthickly slice ,boil until just tender, remove and drain and layer in an oven proof dish.
Mix a tub of sour cream with a bottle of french dressing, add salt n pepper, pour all over potatoes, grate cheese on top and put in oven until golden brown. YUMMY

kofia, Nov 14, 12:39am
My family can't get enough of this recipe:
For 4 adults I use -6 large potatoes, peel andthickly slice ,boil until just tender, remove and drain and layer in an oven proof dish.
Mix a tub of sour cream with a bottle of french dressing, add salt n pepper, pour all over potatoes, grate cheese on top and put in oven until golden brown. YUMMY
As you use the recipe over time you will be able to get used to altering it to suit, how many people you are feeding. Happy baking.

greerg, Nov 14, 1:15am
I think most of your problem is probably the Nadine potatoes. They don't absorb the liquid much at all. I used them once myself and failed although I make them often and have not had other failures. I use milk,milk and cream mix depending on what I have - it doesn't seem to matter.

esther-anne, Nov 14, 2:51am
This one is scrumptious, given to me by an American friend decades ago - I think it's called 'Southern-style scalloped potatoes'.I don't have any measures, just do as many as I think I need.I have had equally good results with Agria and lately Moonlight potatoes.
Secret is to have the potatoes wafer thin and I slice mine in the food processor.and put them in cold water until ready to use.An onion, finely chopped, also in the processor so this dish is easy to prepare.With the chopped onion in a bowl mix about a cup or more (according to taste) of grated cheese. I have had success with tasty but the loveliest ones are made with Edam.Have another amount of cheese not mixed with onion on one side, again Edam and I use a tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan.
In a casserole dish layer up the thinly sliced spuds with the onion and cheese between each layer finishing obviously with a layer of potato.I use either milk or milk and cream mixed (blue-top milk, daughter made them with green top and they were watery and unattractive) Pour the milk and cream over the potatoes until the liquid can be seen lapping around the potatoes edges. Into a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. Reduce to 180 and sprinkle remaining Edam/Parmesan over the top quite thickly. With the potatoes so thinly sliced this takes about an hour. If it's browning too quickly a piece of foil loosely over the top, remove when the dish is almost cooked and leave until golden-brown, moist and utterly delicious.Very plain - no sachets of anything, just the natural ingredients.Seasoning of course between the layers, a little salt and for us anyway a fair sprinkling of white pepper (white much nicer in this dish).
Damn - now I will have to go and make some for dinner because I'm drooling.

toerag, Nov 16, 3:13am
Maggie bacon and onion soup mix. Mix it in a bottle of cream and pour over spuds which have chopped garlic over. YUMMMMMMM

linette1, Nov 16, 3:34am
Don't forget the salt and pepper between each layer of potatoes.

addington261, Nov 16, 7:35am
I so agree with you!

sossie1, Nov 16, 7:38am
i cook the sliced spuds first, drain well.
mix a tub of sour cream with garlic, salt and pepper,
1tsp of the mixture on each slice of potato, and layer.
bake, then top with grated cheese and put under the grill

pollypanner, Nov 17, 2:35am
i alwayspar boil my spuds in the microwave first and always use the Maggie cheesy potatpo mix , Never fail's ans very yummy