Summertime is beetroot time

elliehen, Nov 2, 4:08am
Found this "Summer Blush Dip" recipe today on the label of a can of Golden Circle beetroot slices and though it was worth recording.

SUMMER BLUSH DIP (makes 2 cups)

1/2 cup dry roasted cashew nuts
450gm can beetroot slices, drained
250 gm cream cheese at room temp
2 Tbs freshly grated parmesan
2 Tbs freshly chopped coriander
1/2 tsp chopped thyme leaves

Process raw cashews in a food processor until finely ground.

Add beetroot and process until pureed. Add cream cheese and parmesan and continue to process until smooth and well blended.

Fold in chopped coriander and thyme and season to taste with freshly ground pepper and salt.

To serve, place spoonfuls of dip on a serving platter and serve with slices of warm Turkish bread or baguette.

Note: I haven't yet made this, but I suspect that if you're using your own homegrown beetroot, you might want to steep it in vinegar after cooking to give it the required "bite".

supercook, Nov 2, 5:14am
We just love beetroot and the kids love it too. Always cook my own beetroot as it tastes sooooooooooo much nicer than canned which is tasteless.

fifie, Nov 2, 11:18pm
Mmm Elliehen that sounds nice will save for later.Sometimes i preserve my beetroot in a nice spicy vinegar mix which i imagine would work quite well with it also thanks for sharing.

zappi, Nov 3, 12:06am
jellied beetroot salad, yummy

uli, Nov 3, 5:09am
Interesting - I always think of beetroot as a storage winter vegetable, in summer I have summer veges like beans, courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes etc.

samboy, Nov 3, 8:12am
I have seen shredded beetroot in a salad in a cafe and want to try this, can anyone tell me if you have to cook the beetroot first or is it raw shredded.Thanks

nfh1, Nov 3, 8:36am
OK - I have bought two REAL beetroots - I want to put them in a salad - do I need gloves, should I peel them and can I put them in raw, say grated!

Have never, ever bought beetroot before that has not been in a can.

macwood2, Nov 3, 9:41am
samboy - shred it raw.I always rinse it (after shredding) and dry it off if using in a salad as it "bleeds" badly and then looks messy.