Different homemade / handmade bread flavours

Page 2 / 3
uli, Oct 29, 7:08am
Sorry to say - and all on here will most likely shoot me down - no doubt - but with arthritis - why do you want to eat grain based foods!

Surely with a bit of research you would have found out by now (even on these boards) - that grains are very inflammatory . so why keep eating them!

flower-child01, Oct 29, 9:34am
Uli - Good point, I don't eat them but my kids do. I get a lot of pleasure making foods for my kids, and avoid them myself. My teens have become great food critics lol.

Sarahb5 - The yoghurt bread is a basic milk bread, but using 1 cup of yoghurt instead of 1 cup of the milk. It makes a very moist bread, and has great flavour. I made it into buns for the kids lunch on Sunday.

Uli -I don't read any other boards but this one occasionaly as my health allows. Any wheat being inflammatory, this is the first I have heard. I have liver disease so go natural for treatments. There is a lot of unfounded rubbish on the net that a naturopath would put a correct stance on some of these falicies.

Sarahb5 - The yoghurt bread is a basic milk bread, but using 1 cup of yoghurt instead of 1 cup of the milk. It makes a very moist bread, and has great flavour. I made it into buns for the kids lunch on Sunday.

Uli -I don't read any other boards but this one occasionaly as my health allows. Any wheat being inflammatory, this is the first I have heard. I have liver disease so go natural for treatments. There is a lot of unfounded rubbish on the net that a naturopath would put a correct stance on some of these falicies. I have learnt to listen to my body, and don't notice a difference in a flare whether I eat bread or not.

sarahb5, Oct 29, 7:58pm
Thanks for that - I don't have a milk bread recipe that I use but willing to give it a try if I can find one

flower-child01, Oct 29, 8:54pm
sorry, I will share my recipe. Breads are fairly easy to adapt.

Milk bread

230 ml milk
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp yeast (surebake)
3 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2 dsp butter

Turn the oven on to the lowest temp. In the oven place a large and a small glass bowl (pyrex). In the small bowl add the butter and sugar. In the large bowl add the flour and salt, make a well in the centre. In a small pyrex jug add the milk. Warm all ingredients, about 10 - 15 minutes, melting the butter.
Mix the butter and sugar together to dissolve. Add the milk. Tip all into the flour well, sprinkle yeast on top, knock below the surface. Set aside for 10-15 mins till this is frothy.
Using a dinner knife slowly work in the ingredients in the bowl working from center to outside, till it is worked in. Add more milk if necessary.
Tip on to floured bench and knead for four to five minutes, don’t hesitate to add more flour, your dough should not be sticky, nor dry.
At this stage, if you are going to, flavour your bread.
Place in a large greased bowl (glass). Cover bowl with cling wrap and let rise in a warm area till it has doubled in size, approximately half an hour.
Take out and knead a couple of times. Place in a greased bread loaf tin*.
Let rise in warm area for about 20-30 mins.
Bake 200°C 25-30mins (when the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped). Let cool for half an hour before cutting, if you can wait this long.

All that is different is the use of milk instead of water. You can also replace the butter with oil, olive is best.
To make a fruit bread add 2 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the flour bowl, and preboil 1 cup of sultanas and add when stiring the yeast in,

flower-child01, Oct 29, 9:06pm
And uli most breads are for my kids. Living on the invalids as a single mum I try and keep my costs down, I get a lot of pleasure making breads for my kids, and baking different things, adapting really old recipes so they work. I bought a couple of old editions of the edmonds book, making the jelly marshmallow shortcake last week, yet to be worked further. Cooking and baking have been very confidence boosting, having come from an abusive childhood and left an emotionally abusive marriage. Along with teaching myself web design, cooking has built my self confidence up big time.

davidt4, Oct 29, 10:41pm
I have to say that if I suffered from any form of arthritis I would make every effort to learn about bodily inflammation and the foods which exacerbate it.Wheat is very commonly implicated in inflammation, so are other grains,and you cannot harm yourself by avoiding them.You might even find that you feel better.

I agree that cooking is a wonderful thing to do, but don't overlook the satisfaction to be had from cooking balanced meals from scratch with meat, fish, eggs, veges, fruit and cheese.It can be a real money-saver too.

flower-child01, Oct 29, 11:29pm
Sorry but people are of the asumption I have a hgih grain diet, "I bake bread for my kids for the weekend". I am just enjoying a banana smoothy for lunch just this moment, I don't see any grains in that.

davidt4, Oct 30, 12:37am
I imagine this might have something to do with our assumptions that you eat bread

flower-child01, Oct 30, 12:42am
Uli and David : As this everybody article http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-99c6c804-fdd8-4791-8cdd-33cf6638259f.aspx states:

"Research has not found any convincing evidence that arthritis can be cured or relieved by avoiding or eating particular foods

Food and nutrition guidelines
breads and cereal foods - at least six servings i.e. one serving is one roll or one slice bread or one cup cooked rice (I don't eat a fraction of this amount)

Weight watching
Research has proved that people who are overweight are more likely to develop osteoarthritis. Being overweight leads to increased stress on weight-bearing joints, such as the knees and lower spine, and people who are overweight are also more likely to develop osteoarthritis in their fingers and hands.
Losing weight will not only reduce the load on painful joints but will also improve your ability to get about and exercise more. You will find your general health improves as well."

It is a well known fact if you eat low carbs you are going to lose weight, and in doing so lessen the stress on the joints. Thisi s where I feel the basis that grains are inflammatory, this has never been proven by tests, only assumed.

Uli and David : As this everybody article http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-99c6c804-fdd8-4791-8cdd-33cf6638259f.aspx states:

"Research has not found any convincing evidence that arthritis can be cured or relieved by avoiding or eating particular foods

breads and cereal foods - at least six servings i.e. one serving is one roll or one slice bread or one cup cooked rice (I don't eat a fraction of this amount)

Weight watching
Research has proved that people who are overweight are more likely to develop osteoarthritis. Being overweight leads to increased stress on weight-bearing joints, such as the knees and lower spine, and people who are overweight are also more likely to develop osteoarthritis in their fingers and hands.
Losing weight will not only reduce the load on painful joints but will also improve your ability to get about and exercise more. You will find your general health improves as well."

It is a well known fact if you eat low carbs you are going to lose weight, and in doing so lessen the stress on the joints. The basis that grains are inflammatory has never been proven by tests, only assumed.

Weight watching

It is a well known fact if you eat low carbs you are going to lose weight, and in doing so lessen the stress on the joints. The basis that grains are inflammatory has never been proven by tests, only assumed.

kay141, Oct 30, 12:55am
Exactly. I have had osteo- arthritis for years as the result of injuries. I'm not overweight and it seems to me, with my own tests and research, diet makes no difference. But some on here, seem to blame grains for everything from the common cold to cancer.

sarahb5, Oct 30, 1:00am
Ellen DeGeneres - "You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of you and me because that's how it's spelled."

buzzy110, Oct 30, 2:06am
So when am I going to get osteo and any other type of arthritis then! I've had my fair share of injuries and broken bones. I'm not overweight and I don't eat grains and I don't have arthritis, even though it runs in my family along with CVD and diabetes. I'd like a timeframe so that I know when to expect my physical decline.

Oh wait on. Didn't the article say that these types of disease come with being overweight. You claim not to be overweight and eat grains and yet still have arthritis. Your message seems garbled. Please untangle it so that it makes sense.

buzzy110, Oct 30, 2:15am
A bit sad that you agree with such a shallow and inane quote. Sometimes making assumptions is the only way we can make sense of what is going on around us.

On another note, it is wonderful that cooking andteaching yourself web-design has given you confidence and personal satisfaction. It is fabulous to break any cycle of abuse and ensure that your children do not have to become a part of it. Congratulations on your accomplishments. I think you must be a very intelligent person to have taught yourself two wonderful skills from scratch and what a great role model and inspiration for your children.

Baking bread is lovely. I made my monthly sour dough loaf over the last two days and, as always, it is very hard to keep my significant other from hauling out the bread knife and cutting into it while it is still hot, especially as the warm delicous, homely smell that begs for lashings of butter and lemon spread, permeates the house. I bet you have that problem with your children as well.

kay141, Oct 30, 2:23am
i have no idea when you will get osteo-arthritis if ever. Maybe when you are older, like my age. My point was not everyone needs to be overweight to get it, norhave grains made any difference in my case. How do you know I eat them!I might not. Another assumption on your part.

kay141, Oct 30, 2:29am
I'm sorry, I forgot you said in another thread you were 600 years old, so I guess that makes you older than me. No arthritis and lots of damaged joints, luck of the draw.

flower-child01, Oct 30, 7:33am
Now children, I may have to put you in the corner lol

juliewn, Oct 30, 8:10am
Hi Flowerchild. I love the old recipe books too. there's always something to learn from them. and from old gardening books too. good for rainy nights reading in front of the fire. :-)
Good for you for stepping away from all you've experienced. you have every reason to be very proud of yourself, and for being the great role model and example you are for your Children. very cool. one day I have a feeling they'll be saying to you. thanks Mum.
And.you deserve to have fabulous self-confidence. good for you. :-)

knowsley, Oct 30, 8:48am
She ate Vogels bread for years and never got it. There is no convincing scientific information that says eating grains is bad, yet plenty to say there are health benefits from eating it. Still, doesn't stop the misinformed zealots from preaching about things they don't have a clue on.

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:11am
Now it is you who keeps saying my joints were so bad I could'nt walk upstairs. Of course I can bound up stairs, as I've always been able to do. Butsince removing grains, I can also bound DOWN the steps outside my house that appear to have been fashioned for giants over 2.2mtres, not petite ladies of a much shorter height.

knowsley, Oct 31, 5:11am
I am merely quoting you when you said you struggled to get up stairs when you were 80kg. I never said anything about your joints - I assumed being so short and overweight made it difficult for you to walk.

flower-child01, Oct 31, 6:04am
Silenced. As I have learnt in life, there are people online who can get quite forceful in their opinions, to the point of attacking those who do not comply with their views. No, wait, ahh yes I recognise this, it is my past. Only cowards attack online, these people are too gutless in person in a face to face situation. We are entitled to our own thoughts, views and opinions. But this matter has blown up over unfounded theories that are being forced upon us. We don't want to hear it. I am apalled by the situation that has unraveled here, myself and Kay have been attacked over a matter completely away from the topic of making bread. The whole point of starting this thread was to share my passion, like many.