Different homemade / handmade bread flavours

Page 1 / 3
kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 9:23pm
HELP, Im partway through making the "easy healthy bread" recipe on the first page of this thread, and I just realised it's not quite all there. the wet ingredients part is obviously wrong.

Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 tsp honey
1 1/4 Tsp honey
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and line with baking paper then add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

There is no liquid! Obviously there should be some, but how much! And Honey and honey! hmmm.
Was really looking forward to trying this recipe for lunch today and have already mixed all the dry ingredients. hopefully somebody can help me!

kate_and_jase, Mar 2, 9:37pm
nevermind, think i have figured it out - the 1 1/4T honey should probably be 1 1/4c water! at least that is what I have done, so fingers crossed it turns out

pickles7, Mar 2, 10:38pm
Vogel type bread
No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 24 hours before its ready to bake.
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:45 to 55 minutes
Servings:2 loaf tins .
This bread stays fresh well, and will freeze

Ingredients:
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (yes thats right!)
3 teaspoons salt
2 & 1/4 cups cold water
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

The tin I use is; 27 cm long,12.5 cm wide, 8.5 cm deep.
I did paint the tin with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well (seeds are all optional)
Add water and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula. It is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Spoon the dough into the tins evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over so as it dose not come in contact with the dough at all. Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C
5. Bake 45 to 55minutes . Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and any of the seeds can be omitted, I prefer it with all of the seeds.

flower-child01, Mar 3, 9:19pm
Here is Annabel Langbeins Easy Healthy Bread recipe http://sososimple.blogspot.co.nz/2010/11/easy-healthy-bread.html

flower-child01, Oct 27, 10:27am
I am so into making my own brread, I know my recipes off by heart, both white and sultana breads. Tomorrow I will make a yoghurt bread, and next weekend I am going to make a blueberry bread. Yumm. I use Chicargo metallic tins and find them really good.

flower-child01, Oct 27, 8:34pm
I have one tin listed, and will be listing another one later next week once I top up my trademe account. i only need one tin. This blonde bought three when she started. Was I being optimistic or what lol. My house smells lovely and homely with all these bread smalles.

flower-child01, Oct 27, 8:34pm
I have one tin listed, and will be listing another one later next week once I top up my trademe account. i only need one tin. This blonde bought three when she started. Was I being optimistic or what lol. My house smells lovely and homely with all these bread smells.

buzzy110, Oct 27, 8:44pm
I slice my bread once it is cold and freeze. I endorse the sourdough suggestion. Once you've acquired a taste for the gorgeous sour taste of sourdough you might find every other bread to be blah.

buzzy110, Oct 27, 8:53pm
In the meantime have you considered using spice seeds - coriander, fennel, dill, cumin, fenugreek and cardamon!

I've often thought of using dried herbs but some people find the little dried leaves can get stuck in their throat. Fresh rosemary, thyme or sage in quick rise breads can be used instead.

Rock saltpressed into the top of the loaf is nice. Same with cheese. Olives and sundried tomatoes (cut up of course) are nice. Onions may be nice in quick rise breads.

Pumpkin, pine nuts and sunflower seeds.

carlosjackal, Oct 27, 9:33pm
Carraway seeds are nice in dark rye breads or pumpernickel.

flower-child01, Oct 27, 9:39pm
Yeah I have thought about sourdough, how hard is it to keep going!

buzzy110, Oct 27, 9:44pm
Like most ferments it sort of relies upon a continuous rhythm. Once you have a viable starter it is not difficult to keep going. I'm down to attending to mine once every 2 to 3 weeks but it can go longer without attention. If you make sourdough once a week (which was what I used to do in the beginning) then that is when you 'refresh/feed' your starter and put away in the fridge till you need it again.

I don't make a lot of bread now - maybe once a month so I take it out and feed it about a week before I want to use it, then make it back up again and store in my fridge for another 3 weeks or so.

buzzy110, Oct 27, 9:49pm
If you don't look after it then it still lives. As each month passes the amount of yeast becomes slightly less and the amount of lactic acid slightly increases. The lactic acid prevents contamination by undesirable pathogens. Lactic acid sits on the top like a protective skin and looks like clear, 'blackish' liquid. To re-enliven it after a longish period then all that is required is a return to the rhythm of the life of a sourdough starter by stirring the liquid back in and refreshing/feeding for a few days and then leave it to regrow some lactic acid (which is where the sour taste comes from).

sarahb5, Oct 28, 12:00am
Yoghurt bread sounds interesting - would you mind posting the recipe!

lx4000, Oct 28, 1:50am
I add things like, herds, cheese, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, linseeds(crushed in the blender), garlic wholemeal flour, rolled oats (raw), wheatgerm, kibbled wheat, etc! Try things out! Oh I make a few then freeze them too. All made by hand. Once you have a few recipes, add and mix things up and have fun!

lx4000, Oct 28, 1:50am
I add things like, herds, cheese, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, linseeds(crushed in the blender), garlic wholemeal flour, rolled oats (raw), wheatgerm, kibbled wheat, etc! Try things out! Oh I make a few then freeze them too. All made by hand. Once you have a few recipes, add and mix things up and have fun! Oh and I always have a small bowl of hot water in when cooking bread.

sarahb5, Oct 28, 2:57am
I'm the same - bit of this, bit of that - although I only really make flavoured bread if we are having it with a meal.For "every day" bread I prefer just added texture - toast and jam doesn't taste the same if your bread has garlic and oregano in it!

uli, Oct 28, 5:44am
What are "herds"!
And why add "wholemeal flour"! Just use it LOL :)

lx4000, Oct 28, 8:45am
ops ! herbs!

Then you can add onions, olives, tomatoes etc. You can come up with some nice combos:)

flower-child01, Oct 28, 9:52pm
I have a form of arthritis hence why one loaf of bread at a time. But nothing beats a fresh loaf of btead I feel, I am teaching my teens the basics as well. Good skills.

Must run going to bake bluebery cake for my youngest to head off to camp tomorrow with.

I make a pizza bread swirls, sort of like a chelsea bun but less sugar. They are made a day ahead and left in the oven overnight. The filling is just pizza sauce, onion and cheese. The onion smell is absorbed by the bread, great in the kids lunchboxes.

flower-child01, Oct 28, 9:52pm
I have a form of arthritis hence why one loaf of bread at a time. But nothing beats a fresh loaf of btead I feel, I am teaching my teens the basics as well. Good skills.

Must run going to bake bluebery cake for my youngest to head off to camp tomorrow with.

I make a pizza bread swirls, sort of like a chelsea bun but less sugar. They are made a day ahead and left in the oven overnight to be baked the next morning. The filling is just pizza sauce, onion and cheese. The onion smell is absorbed by the bread, great in the kids lunchboxes.

sarahb5, Oct 28, 9:56pm
Garlic and rosemary in the loaf I put in the breadmaker before work this morning, to have with our quiche and salad for dinner tonight.

lx4000, Oct 29, 12:04am
flower-child01, heres a good one for you to make. No Knead!

Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 tsp honey
1 1/4 Tsp honey
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and line with baking paper then add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

Be warned! This IS A WET DOUGH !
I find if I wet my hands first, I can get the dough into the loaf tin without sticking to my hands.

I add sunflower seeds and raisins to the dry mix and its wonderful. This one you can add what ever to!

nauru, Oct 29, 5:21am
Curry & Onion bread is good too for BBQ's and it's great with soup in the Winter.I can post the recipe if you want it

tjman, Oct 29, 5:38am
Maybe potato and onion, or leek.