Cooking Haggis.

mayne, Oct 15, 1:58am
I have been given a semi-frozen Blackball Haggis.I don't think I should re-freeze it therefore I should cook it, the million dollar question is HOW !It is a small one, about half a kilo and vac-packed in plastic.Any suggestions please !I have already been told to boil it with a rock for an hour, then throw away the haggis and eat the rock.I thought that was how you cook mutton-birds.Thanks.Mayne.

kiwitrish, Oct 15, 2:17am
I just love haggis.There was a scottish butcher in Auckland that use to make the best ever.

Remember to defrost the Haggis first !
Bring a pan of water to the boil.
Place the haggis in the boiling water. Make sure you now turn the heat down - it is important that the water is not allowed to boil for a second time as this can result in the casings bursting. Therefore SIMMER ONLY. ( A number of our haggis are provided in a "Cook-In bag" to reduce the likelihood of the casing bursting ).
Allow the Haggis to Simmer. We have provided a "Cooking Table" at the bottom of the page which advises the length of time the Haggis should be allowed to simmer which is dependant on the size of haggis being cooked.
The Haggis is now ready for "plating". It is now ready for cutting open - however there's only one thing missing.
.that's right - "neeps an' tatties" ( ie. mashed turnip and creamed potatoes!). (For best results, serve on a piping hot plate).

The Chieftain2.5 kg2 hours
Sma' Chief1 kg1 hour 15 minutes
Warrior500g1 hour
Wee Warrior100g20/30 minutes

davidt4, Oct 15, 2:18am
Are there any instructions on the packaging!

If it is raw, it should be simmered in water for about three hours.if it is cooked, you just need to re-heat it.

Haggis is extremely edible - just think of it as a kind of meat loaf and don't worry about what it is made with.Blackball is a reputable smallgoods manufacturer and their products are very good quality.

mayne, Oct 15, 3:18am
Hi Folks.Thank You.There are no instruction with it and Blackball's website doesn't cover cooking.I'll run with the Warriors cooking time, see above and can sort out the turnip and spuds.I've tried haggis before in Dunedin and quite liked it, so will give it a go tomorrow.Thanks again,Mayne.

maximus44, Oct 15, 6:59am
Lucky you. Enjoy.

shop-a-holic, Oct 16, 3:15am
If I was with you, I'd pipe it in from your kitchen to the table.Sadly, I can only say that I'll be thinking of you!Slàinte!

kay141, Oct 16, 4:32am
Hope the whisky went with it as well as the neeps and tatties. I'm quite green with envy.

digger148, Oct 16, 7:01pm
Popular weekend cook up in this house.
Generous slice of haggis fried with an egg on topmmmmmm.

mayne, Oct 17, 2:21am
Back again.Cooked it OK.I've tried haggis twice before, in Dunedin.This haggis was not as seasoned as the one's that I have had before and I think I liked the others better.Have some left so thats being fried, like black pudding, and going to have the fried egg on top for breakfast tomorrow.Thanks again.Mayne.