Help Meatloaf cupcakes

blayzzz, Oct 16, 7:05am
Hi

My daughter is making meatloaf cupcakes as one of her options in her NCEA exam next week we did a tester tonight, using prime mince and the muffin tin filled with fat and because of that they had a fatty taste, is there anyway around this we do have a meatball fall back but these were different.

Here is the recipe we used
500g mince
1 egg
2 slices of multigrain bread grated
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
2 table spoons of mustard
2 palm full mixed herbs dried

TIA

waswoods, Oct 16, 7:41am
Personally, I only use premium mince and don't forget to add salt

blayzzz, Oct 16, 7:47am
thanks waswoods would I have to get premium mince from a butcher!My supermarket does not stock it, and thanks for the salt tip.Also when we put them in the cupcake cases the cases kind of went almost flat anyway to stop that.Sorry I am not really much of a cook myself lol

pam.delilah, Oct 16, 7:58am
extra idea
top the cupcakeswith mashed potato piped using a largestar nozzle

blayzzz, Oct 16, 8:01am
Thanks 245sam heaps of ideas in there =)

Yep we did pipe mashed sour cream and garlic mashed potato on to the top, it was yum, just the meatloaf had a fatty taste and the fat bubbled all over my oven (she had to learn the joys of kitchen hand as well lol), will visit the actual butcher tomorrow get the best mince I can get and try again lol,I think after this week I will never want to look at mince again.

korbo, Oct 16, 8:02am
hi, I would have used dried breadcrumbs instead of fresh bread, and also 2 palms of herbs is a lot.(does that mean palms of your hands!)
is the recipe you gave, the one that the NCEA give and you have to stick to it.
I can't be 100% sure, but feel the fresh breadcrumbs could be the problem, also the fat in the mince.
Not sure what else to suggest. Others should have more ideas.

korbo, Oct 16, 8:03am
are you using muffin tins, or muffin paper cases.

245sam, Oct 16, 8:05am
blayzzz, what part of Wellington and which supermarket do you shop at!Our DD lived in Wellington prior to moving further north and I have been shopping with her at various supermarkets, most of which, like our SI supermarkets have at least two grades of mince, very often three grades - I suggest that you try Countdown and/or New World and look as advised above for premium mince, otherwise you may need to go to a butcher's shop.:-))

blayzzz, Oct 16, 8:13am
muffin tins for the cooking but then they go into muffin casing for presentation.

Apparently they are allowed to pick their own recipes for this and its internally assessedthey have to bake grill roast and pan fry, pork, chicken, lamb and beef.

When i say palm I mean a Rachel Ray palm full which she says is 1 tablespoon.

We are in Jville 245sam and I shop at countdown,I will try Prestons tomorrow for a 3rd mince option

245sam, Oct 16, 8:28am
blayzzz, our daughter lived in Newlands, then the Johnsonville/Raroa area and she usually shopped at Countdown while her husband preferred the former (or maybe still is) Woolworths - have you tried at both of those supermarkets for premium mince!Occasionally they also shopped at various New World and PaknSave supermarkets.:-))

blayzzz, Oct 16, 8:34am
I like your daughter prefer the mall one (I like the staff lol)I will pop over to the other one tomorrow and see what they have also Newlands has a New World now so I can try them as well.I don't do PnS I always find their meat looks unappealing.

245sam, Oct 16, 8:55am
I had forgotten that Newlands now has a New World - it wasn't there when our daughter lived on Stewart Drive and it hadn't opened when we were last past that way but if that New World is like our local one, it should have some suitable mince for your daughter to use.
Good luck, I hope it all goes well for her with her exams.:-))

blayzzz, Oct 16, 9:04am
Thanks 245 sam I will give them a try.

I hope so to she enjoys cooking I think she gets it from my mum sadly the gene skipped me lol, I just cook to survive although MKR has inspired me recently.

camper18, Oct 17, 3:50am
There are some little silver cup cases you can get that are more stable than the paper ones which would be better for presentation. Have seen them at supermarkets and $2 shops.

baalamb, Oct 17, 3:54am
My aunt used to buy topside or any other type of lean stewing steak, and mince it herself to avoid getting the extra fat. She used to partially freeze it and then put it into food processor.one other option of keeping the fat level down.