Marmalade in slow cooker

aussie_girl, Sep 15, 8:41am
has anyone done this, any tips! cheers

ace441, Sep 15, 12:05pm
550g oranges (or grapefruit or lemon - or a mix of citrus)
4 cups water
Juice of 1 lemon
3 to 4 cups sugar, as needed

Wash, quarter, and seed the fruit, separating the peel from the pulpy center, and cutting the peel into very small shards. Or chop the whole oranges in a food processor until chunky (just make sure you don’t over-process). Transfer the pulp and peel to the slow cooker and add the water and lemon juice, Cover and cook on HIGH until simmering, about 2 hours.

Add the sugar and mix well: you want the sugar to equal the amount of boiling orange stock. Stir often until you are sure the sugar has dissolved. Then cover, turn the cooker to LOW, and cook for 6 hours, stirring every 2 hours to check for consistency. The peel will be translucent when the marmalade is ready for the next step.

Remove the lid, turn the cooker to HIGH, and cook for another 1 to 2 hours, or even longer (6 hours or more doesn't hurt), until you have a nice syrupy consistency.

Ladle the warm marmalade into sterilised glass jars; let stand until cool.

kvb, Nov 11, 2:21am
Ace441, I tried your recipe, but found there was about twice as much water as needed, however to reduce it I left my slow cooker on high for the whole night - a total of approx 22 hours in all.I must say, the taste is just lovely and so simple to do - no chance of burning it.just wondered if anyone else had tried this method and how they had got on!My next batch, will at least halve the water or maybe even less - can always add more later, but thank you for the recipe.

guest, Dec 18, 2:19am
That's really shdwer! Good to see the logic set out so well.