Coffee Experts

punkinthefirst, Sep 18, 11:38am
I used to enjoy the old "Robert Harris Special" ground coffee, back about 20 years ago - it was full-flavoured, strong, rich, mild and sweet, with no bitterness at all. Unfortunately, they changed the roast, and I've been hunting for something similar ever since. I have turfed out SO many kilos of coffee grounds! I can get something close to it by using 2 teaspoons of Moccona French Blend in half and half skim milk and water, but it isn't as full-bodied.and I want to make proper coffee. Does anyone have any suggestions!

dezzie, Sep 18, 12:00pm
Everything seems to be flavoured now, we used to enjoy fags after dinner coffee ground for a long time then it got hard to get.I do like robert harris toffee and rum tho.have you tried that yet!

village.green, Sep 18, 8:24pm
I think it will just be a case of trial and error. There are so many coffee companies out there now. I have my favourites but they are quite dark and strong and not to everyone's taste. I have a stovetop maker which I love, makes fab coffee. Some people prefer a plunger and some instant. Greek/Turkish coffee is made by mixing the coffee and water in a' briki '(little pot) boiling until it rises up to the top and then taking off the heat - lovely!

jd426, Sep 18, 9:46pm
Try Karajoz's it's not bitter at all , I make mine in a Bialetti on the hob.
If you really want to pamper yourself substitute cream for milk, it's wonderful, like real coffee should be.

dreamers, Sep 18, 9:55pm
Lavassa is what we use in our Senseo machine as it is a fine grind.Karajoz is what we use in ourhome machine .

eagles9999, Sep 18, 10:08pm
Agree I recently acquired a stove top maker and really like it. Currently I'm using "Fair Trade" (or something like that) and its got the strength and slight bitterness that I love in my cioffee.

sarahb5, Sep 18, 10:50pm
I prefer to buy mine fresh from a roastery - it costs a bit more than the supermarket stuff but at least I know it's fresh and it tastes so much better.You really do get what you pay for - I always find the supermarket stuff is stale and tastes "dirty" by comparison with the freshly roasted beans.You can buy online from a lot of smaller roasteries and it's definitely worth it.

sarahb5, Sep 18, 10:57pm
Are you using 2 teaspoons of ground coffee to make one cup of "proper" coffee or are you talking about instant coffee!If it's fresh ground coffee then you need at least 3 teaspoons/1 tablespoon to each full cup of water, ie. 250ml.

camper18, Sep 18, 11:24pm
Take a trip to Hawaii and over to Maui to the "KONA" farm where they grow their own and mill it. Never had such beautiful coffee. Wish we could have filled a suitcase and brought it back with us.

caeli, Sep 18, 11:41pm
YES YES YES.this stuff is so gooooooooooooooooood! And yes, I did almost have a suitcase full of it!

(deletedas I mucked the quote-thing up.again.)

punkinthefirst, Sep 19, 3:25am
No roastery in my town.
I have tried every brand and style in our local supermarket - including Karajoz - and have the opened packets to prove it, with just one plunger's worth of coffee grounds removed from each!
I'm using a plunger.
2 teaspoons Moccona INSTANT French style gives an approximation of the flavour I want - but it isn't QUITE there.
Not keen on flavoured coffees - they're too sugary for me, as a rule. (When I said sweet, I meant a natural sweetness.)
Don't much like cream in my coffee.
I know I'm pernickitty. Coffee shops can make the sort of coffee I love - so why can't I find anything like it in the shops! Is it my method, or is it the roast!
Thanks everyone - all contributions gratefully pondered over!

sarahb5, Sep 19, 3:44am
Supermarket coffee is generally quite stale - it sits on the shelf for a long time.You can buy fresher coffee online and you will notice the difference.

http://www.ozonecoffee.com/coffee

hutchk, Sep 19, 5:48am
True, but Bay Espresso roast their own range of beans (they'll even grind them for you while you wait) and they're only 30 minutes away. Pre bagged ground coffee will never give you the same result as a cafe (most of whom grind their beans immediately prior to pulling your shot). Put the effort in, and you'll get the reward.