Making Flavoured Coffee Syrup

vampiriousmist, May 20, 3:51am
Wow, this sounds like a great idea ! I love hazelnut hot chocolates, so will have to lookfor hazelnut extract, though probably hard to come by :(

indy95, May 20, 9:54pm
Vampiriousmist, you could use Frangelico. That would certainly give your hot hazelnut chocolate a lift and you need only a small amount.

dreamers, May 20, 10:08pm
I make a simple syrup to go into our Mai Tais and it keeps for months,there is nothing in it to go off ,so I imagine adding flavorings isn't going to be much different.

olwen, May 20, 10:21pm
Bin Inn, SImplifoods and brewing stores sell flavours for adding to home made alcohol which include hazelnut.I don't know how it would work for other uses

lindylambchops1, Jun 8, 11:52pm
The idea is to make a simple syrup with sugar and water and then add flavourings. Pour a bit into the coffee mug, add your cream and then top with hot coffee.
The recipe I used:
2 cups sugar (white or brown)
2 cups water
Bring to a boil and cook at a slow boil for about 10 minutes or so, stirring often (you want the syrup to be a little thicker and less runny). Remove from heat, pour evenly into three 250 ml jars or bottles and then add flavourings. try:
 Cinnamon: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 Chocolate Mint: 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
 Orange Chocolate: 1 tablespoon cocoa, 1 tablespoon orange extract
 Vanilla: 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
You might have to play around with the quantities to adjust to your personal taste.Stir well and top jars loosely with lids. Once the jars have cooled enough to handle, tighten lids and shake. Leave at room temperature and continue shaking jars off and on and once they’ve cooled, refrigerate.
Directions for use: Pour a little syrup into the coffee mug, add regular cream (if desired) and then top off with hot coffee. Stir well and enjoy!
Initial idea taken from Tipnut.

tarankyle, Jun 9, 2:58am
that sounds wonderful! how long do they last once made & do you need to keep them in the fridge or is on the bench or in a cubbard ok?

tarankyle, Jun 10, 2:49am
anyone? I would love to make this but need to know how long it lasts for once made

tarankyle, Jun 10, 2:58am
that sounds wonderful! how long do they last once made & do you need to keep them in the fridge or is on the bench or in a cubbard ok!

lindylambchops1, Jun 10, 6:12am
In my house they wouldn't last long & I would keep them in the tea & coffee cupboard!

tarankyle, Jun 10, 10:05pm
thanks for that :-)was thinking of making some for myself & some as gifts

tarankyle, Jun 11, 2:49am
anyone! I would love to make this but need to know how long it lasts for once made

lindylambchops1, Jun 11, 6:12am
In my house they wouldn't last long & I would keep them in the tea & coffee cupboard!