Brown rice syrup

jcprotea, Mar 19, 1:14am
I am wondering what could be used to used to make dulche de leche instead of brown rice syrup. Just that it is particular to the recipe I was given.

davidt4, Mar 19, 2:57am
Here is a recipe from David Leibowitz, which is a pretty standard one.I've never heard of dulce de leche needing brown rice syrup.

Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).

Pour one can (400 gr/14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt.

Set the pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate.

Cover the pie plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours. (Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary).

Once the Dulce de Leche is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, whisk until smooth.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm gently in a warm water bath .

sarahj1, Mar 19, 3:00am
Cheat and use Nestle Caramel condensed milk, which is basically what dulce de leche is....

jcprotea, Mar 19, 3:02am
thanks I might use those recipes when making for kids but I am a vegan so I can't have condensed milk.

davidt4, Mar 19, 5:25am
I can't see how you could make a vegan dulce de leche - milk is the essential component.

jcprotea, Mar 19, 5:50am
for this recipe for alfajores you can make it Vegan, you just use soy milk instead.

frances1266, Mar 19, 8:40pm
Good news.You can get vegan/dairy free condensed milk from Angel Foods an Auckland company.
Think it comes from South America.Angel Foods has a website and deliver anywhere in the country.My daughter buys it from them.

davidt4, Mar 20, 2:57am
Here is a recipe from David Leibowitz, which is a pretty standard one.I've never heard of dulce de leche needing brown rice syrup.

Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).

Pour one can (400 gr/14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt.

Set the pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate.

Cover the pie plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours. (Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary).

Once the Dulce de Leche is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, whisk until smooth.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm gently in a warm water bath .

sarahj1, Mar 20, 3:00am
Cheat and use Nestle Caramel condensed milk, which is basically what dulce de leche is.

davidt4, Mar 20, 5:25am
I can't see how you could make a vegan dulce de leche - milk is the essential component.