Bottled beetroot

flowingfree, Jan 10, 11:46am
x1
Can I bottle the beetroot in Jam jars with their screw lid or do I have to use the bottling jars and seals like I used years ago? Haven't bottled since the 70's & 80's and all my jars have long been given away. TIA

flowingfree, Jan 10, 12:52pm
x1
And while I'm asking. How many cups of water per vinegar? Off to bed now so I hope early risers can help me.

kiweaze, Jan 10, 6:49pm
You would have to seal them if you expect long life - screw top only for immediate use. Vinegar would be according to your own taste. Something like 1 vinegar to 5 water would be in the right range. :)

fisher, Jan 10, 7:48pm
. . sieve off the beetroot cooking water to another pot and add a cup of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 8 or so peppercorns, some fresh bay leaves, 4-5 whole cloves, a "little" pickling spice if you want a little bite. . (dont add too much) and a good cup or two of malt vinegar. . . While you clean up the beetroot, bring this liquid to the boil and then let it simmer to release flavours. . slice cooked, peeled beetroot (I cut into quarters then slice) and pack into jars. . with the jars in your warmed sink or on an old tea towel, sieve the hot liquid into the jars till just overflowing. . add your lid, turn over, remove lid and top up and set aside to cool. .
Wipe off when cooled and store. . .

flowingfree, Jan 11, 1:20am
x1
Thanks for the posts. I wouldn't be keeping the beetroot for a long period of time maybe a couple of months at most. I thought I could use the Jam Jars as when I make jam and pour it into the jars the jar lids pop sealed straight away.

olwen, Jan 11, 1:25am
If you have the jars and lids sterilised that should be fine. I'd make sure they were all clean them sterlise the jars in the oven and the lids in boiling water. The boiling water helps soften the little rubber seal in the lid.

I would probably nearly fill them and waterbath them or put them in the oven and heat to about 100C for around 10-15 minutes.

flowingfree, Jan 11, 3:23am
Thanks olwen I'll give it a go and see what happens.