Slow cooker is dead! How to cook silverside?

mazzy1, Aug 21, 1:14am
The old-fashioned way in a pot with water, but how much and for how long! I had a spare which I sold in our garage sale in the weekend for $5 and it went perfectly well. hom hum - that's the breaks, eh! DH might take a look at the plug when he gets home from work but I will have to cook him dinner as a reward, of course!

annie.nz, Aug 21, 1:18am
Water to cover, slow simmer several hours.3-4 hours is not too much.Keep the water topped up.

Good luck.

waxeyed69, Aug 21, 1:20am
cover it i put cloves into the meat an mustard powderhow big is it

mazzy1, Aug 21, 1:21am
It's 1.248 so not very large. Do you cover with cold water! I want to make sure it turns out really tender like the slow cooker way if possible.

waxeyed69, Aug 21, 1:23am
i use cold an its nice an tender i think just over three hrs

annie.nz, Aug 21, 1:27am
Yes, cold water.And add the usual flavourings you would if it was in the slow cooker.Also aim for a very very slow simmer, the water surface should shimmer, with just the odd bubble.Any harder and it will go tough.

mazzy1, Aug 21, 1:30am
oh god. I'm doomed then! :-)My stupid gas hob will make it simmer even on the very lowest setting on the tiniest gas ring. I will try to raise it on a trivet or something. Thanks everyone for all the pointers; I'll put it on shortly, I think.

kateley, Aug 21, 1:32am
I've done it in the oven before, in a casserole dish with a lid, just like in a slow cooker on about 150 degrees for 3 or 4 hours.

mazzy1, Aug 21, 1:36am
good idea!

carlosjackal, Aug 21, 1:49am
Rinse the silverside (often it's quite slimey when you unwrap it), cut any excess fat off it. Put in in a large saucepan. Add cloves, vinegar, golden syrup, brown (raw) sugar, bayleaves and COLD water. Slowly bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and let it gently simmer for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

annie.nz, Aug 21, 1:55am
You could try a trivet, or use the smallest gas ring on low and shift the pot off to the side a bit, so the flame only catches about 1/4 to 1/3 of the underside of the pot.Just make sure the pot handles are out of the way of the flame.

It will all be good, don't worry.

melissa1805, Aug 21, 2:28am
make sure you still put a splash of vinegar and onion cut up and a carrot
cover with water and bring to boil turn down and simmer for a few hours and it will be perfect

mazzy1, Aug 21, 2:40am
Well it's sitting in the pot looking extremely unattractive at the moment, but I'm sure it will all work out ok *crosses fingers*It's amazing how you come to rely on a piece of equipment that you take completely for granted until it claps out.

annie.nz, Aug 21, 3:15am
True, it's the only way to cook corned beef, I reckon.Otherwise you're fluffing over it all day.It's nice to be able to turn it on and forget it.

sam1670, Aug 21, 3:37am
We have gas at home and I love my simmer mat. Brought it off TM and it is just great, for the first time I can get the temperature correct for slow cooking stovetop. Also it works with pots and a ceramic tagine.

fifie, Aug 21, 3:45am
It will be fine, just needs watched a bit more than S/C. To think i had my trusty old Ralta C/Pot in the shed for years hardly used it, now i have C/P and S/C use both heaps for different things, sure makes cooking a breeze these days.

mazzy1, Aug 21, 3:53am
Well I must have led a sheltered life. Never heard of such a thing! *trots off to find one on TM*