I often use it as it is delicious and a fraction of the price of other fish

skippie1, Aug 28, 9:25pm
I love it.

seaspray1, Aug 28, 9:36pm
Too oily for me.

carlosjackal, Aug 28, 9:50pm
Smoked eel is nice with slices of avacado on toasted Vogel bread! YUM-O

pandora10, Aug 28, 9:50pm
Perception rather reality.Thought of as slimy and a Maori food as oposed to the highly polished fare was see presneted in the Supermarkets.

Love it smoked.

1buzemum, Aug 28, 10:05pm
don't tell too many people or the price will go up ;-) we love it too

melanie64, Aug 28, 10:25pm
We love it too but haven't had any for a while now.We caught a few really big ones in our creek but since finding out their numbers are on the decline we don't eat them any more.the kids feed them instead now.It's cool to watch the kid's pet one 'Princess' come right up out of the water for a piece of cheese.

friendly_prawn, Aug 28, 10:27pm
I assume you are talking about buying it, not making it your self.
That being the case, where can you buy it cheaper than other fish!
I hvent even seen any for sale for as long as I can remember and anything that I have seen for sale in the past has been very expensive and usually tastes terrible compared to home cooked smoked eel.
So where do you buy your smoked eel from that tastes so nice and is so cheap!

cgvl, Aug 28, 10:43pm
agree, where do you get it from!
I enjoy smoked eel but it is a rarity in this household.

traderken, Aug 28, 10:54pm
Hi, I buy it at my local fishshop in Hamilton where it is smoked on the premises. I am at the moment paying $14 kilo which is slightly cheaper than roe.

friendly_prawn, Aug 28, 10:59pm
ok well at least you now have your answer as to why more of us dont consume it.

lythande1, Aug 29, 12:13am
$14 a kg! Pretty expensive to me.

buzzy110, Aug 29, 12:34am
Cheaper than most fish prices. Fish is not farmed and therefore should cost more. I think that price compares well with lots of cuts of meat.

iman007, Aug 29, 1:36am
i have a mate who processes it, vacuum packed, you cant beat it, witha bit of horseradish sauce on crackers num num

camper18, Aug 29, 3:32am
At $14 a kg someone is making a packet when the fisherman (my DH) is getting less than $5 a kg and paying all the associated fishing costs.

whitehead., Aug 29, 4:50am
there is a smoke house in levin that is doing smoked eel but i find its not smokie enought for my taste . im going to get some out of the deep freeze and have another go at smoking it in the wok with tea and sugar . the factory do deliver to other towns . under eel smokes i think or ring the council they are just across the road

iman007, Aug 29, 5:22am
supermarkets in ch ch stopped selling it about 5 years ago, thats when i met my man at my local,freezer always got a couple of feeds in it.He smokes it all himself from eels from lake ellesmere, i think they start running again around sept oct, he says arough rule of thumb is they are avialable in months endingin ber! september to december
Had a good feed saturday, yum

friendly_prawn, Aug 29, 5:41am
best way to smoke eel, lots and lots of green manuka leaves.
Nothing else. Comes out incredibly rich tasting.
Try that way of smoking and you'll never smoke it any other way.

donnabeth, Aug 30, 8:48am
Yum yum yum! I grew up on it with a family friend catching and perfectly smoking them. I can drool over the memories. The closest I've come to smoked eel for many years now is small fillets vacuum packed and frozen,with littleflavour-and very expensive. $14kg sounds a very reasonable price and I'd happily pay it for delicious smoked eel.

antoniab, Aug 30, 11:07pm
Yum I love smoked eel! When hubby isnt successful deer or pig hunting he often brings an eel home to smoke :)

calista, Aug 31, 1:02pm
I love roasted eel, but have just discovered NZ long finned eel are on the endangered list and they only spawn once in their lifetime, justbefore they die - so they are now off my menu.

camper18, Aug 31, 10:32pm
Heaps of shortfin eel in NZ which is not native or endangered so dont give up just because the so called "experts" are feeding out the propaganda.

sumstyle, Aug 31, 10:47pm
Yesterday I bought conga eel at $5 per kilo, and I am going to smoke it myself today (after reading this thread).I have been successful in smoking other fish on the bbq (a la Annabel Langbein's instructions), so I will be interested to see if I like the flavour.

I also bought skate wings to smoke as they were really cheap too.

iman007, Sep 1, 4:24am
if you can give me an addy, i will send some for you, its real good stuff!

sumstyle, Sep 1, 6:29am
Update - my conga eel was very nice, but full of pin bones.Next time I will buy a much fatter section of eel, which would get me a bettermeat to bone ratio.