Sponge problem

agave1, Jul 30, 10:19am
I have a great recipe which turns out sponges that rise really well.Trouble is, I only 'fold' in the cornflour/s.r. flour. so I get lumps of flour in my sponge (which are awful when cooked).
Is it okay to beat the flour in, or will I risk losing my 'rise'!

245sam, Jul 30, 11:25am
agave1, I can't boast that I am a sponge-making guru but I am certain that beating the flour/cornflour into the sponge mixture is not an option because you will effectively beat out all the air that would have been beaten into the egg and sugar mixture.I am sure that you are doing the right thing by folding the flour(s) in - maybe folding the mixture a bit more/for longer would be the answer to your dilemma.:-))

bernice1, Jul 30, 11:28am
Sieve the flour over the mix, then fold in by using a large metal slotted spoon.

elliehen, Jul 30, 11:46am
I caught the end of a cooking programme where the sponge-maker said to fold in with a metal spoon, but to start at the outer edge of the bowl and move in towards the middle in a circular motion.

sarahb5, Jul 30, 9:29pm
That's what folding is isn't it!That's how I was taught to do it anyway.Always with a metal spoon and for a sponge always double-sieve the flour, second time over the bowl with the rest of the mix in it.

cgvl, Jul 30, 9:34pm
After watching endless food channel chef's . well known ones and watched how they have folded in ingredients. I now use a ballon whisk to fold in, its quicker and easier but do not whisk, still use the folding motion.
Has made no difference to the dishes I have made. I fold about half the egg whites in then add the rest, do it in 2 or 3 batches.

elliehen, Jul 30, 9:34pm
I'm sure you're right, but I've always 'folded' with a sort of criss-crossmovement and I think the tip for going round and round probably takes care of the lumps.