Where to buy a 4 1/2 litre cast iron

Page 1 / 2
griffo4, Jul 22, 11:44pm
Dutch oven please and brand names to look out for
Thanks

beaker59, Jul 23, 12:50am
I have seen them at the warehouse though most recently also at Mitre 10 Mega in Glenfield in thier camping section these are just the plain black cast iron ones.

unknowndisorder, Jul 23, 12:54am
Griff just bumped a thread which might help :)

skippie1, Jul 23, 1:03am
Check Trade Me, sure I have seen them here.

griffo4, Jul 23, 1:15am
Thanks so much for all the info l will have a look at all the options
l do like the cobalt blue Le Creuset one
l am doing a lot more cooking these days and find l could do with a good size one and for my sour dough bread as well
Thanks

geldof, Jul 23, 3:08am
I bought one at K mart for $25 dollars.
They have red, black and blue from memory.
I got mine to make bread in as well.

village.green, Jul 23, 10:41pm
Just make sure it is not too heavy for you to lift with food in it. I've always stayed away from Le Creuset (although they are lovely to look at and good quality) for that reason.and I'm not a weakling!

duckmoon, Jul 23, 11:09pm
I am a weakling, medical issues with my hands.

I was worried about whether it would be too heavy, let alone with food in it.

In reality, I only need to left from stove to bench, from bench to table.

I manage it well, and love love love my pot

griffo4, Jul 24, 1:32am
The one question l have is that it says top temperature was 180C and the bread recipes l have are 220C and another one at 190C
l don't want to stuff up my pan by overheating it, when l buy it

beaker59, Jul 24, 2:47am
I bake my sourdough at 180.

burkes1, Jul 24, 4:24am
sheesh too much time on your hands - but yah know where I live

cardiffgirl, Jul 24, 5:43am
Staub (german) do fabulous cast iron dutch ovens/ casseroles/cocottes.I prefer them to Le Creuset

griffo4, Jul 24, 11:44pm
Hi beaker l am using Jacqueline's sour dough recipe and it says heat pan in oven at 230C and turn down to 220C when you put bread into oven
So you are saying l can do it at 180C in a cast iron dish!
l am using a pyrex one but not sure how long it will last with the high temps

peterbk, Jul 25, 12:33am
Hi Griff04
Jacqueline here. Great to here you are enjoying my sour dough recipe
I was given my cast iron dutch oven which is very old. My daughter just uses a cheap farmers straight sided casserole dish, Haven i think, and i have used pyrex before too. I dont think i would like to heat an expensive Le Crueset to the temperature required, it might craze the enamel.
Jacqueline

griffo4, Jul 25, 1:26am
Hi Jacqueline l love your bread as it is easy and works in with my times and l am thinking of looking for a plain cast iron oven rather than the Le Creuset one and l will look at Farmers as well

purplegoanna, Jul 25, 3:15am
briscoes had them on special for 60% off last week keep an eye out.

chicken-legs, Jul 29, 5:20am
Does anybody know where can I buy a dutch oven/cooking pot with 3 legs for campfire cooking!

griffo4, Jul 29, 6:21am
purplegoana l was in Briscoes last weekend but they were too small but thanks anyway

griffo4, Jul 30, 8:00am
chicken legs l see one on Milly's Kitchen site under bbq & outdoors a Lodge brand not sure of size though

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:48am
Lodge make these. Lodge are American and they have been making cast iron products since 1896.

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:50am
They do 20, 25 and 30cm. In the 30cm, they do a5.4 litre ( I thinkthats the amount) and a 7.5litre ( it is a deeper oven)

cookessentials, Jul 30, 9:51am
Make that a 5.6 litre. Staub are wonderful, although they are very pricey.

willyow, Jul 30, 10:22am
You see some good second hand ones on Trademe sometimes at a fraction the price of new ones - top brands are really expensive. We have some Le Crueset ones - a large and a small - they are great - butoh!- the price! Cheap Warehouse ones look OK though and probably do the job exactly the same.

chicken-legs, Jul 31, 11:40pm
thanks for the info re the 3 legged pots :-)

cookessentials, Aug 1, 1:21am
yep they probably do.for a while. Buying poor quality is false economy, especially when it comes to cookware