We import Beef?

Page 1 / 2
carlosjackal, Aug 6, 1:44am
I never knew we imported beef! Does anyone know how long we've been doing this!

Advertised in today's Countdown specials is: Fresh Beef Scotch Fillet Steak and written underneath that: product of Australia.

pericles, Aug 6, 1:44am
been in my countedown for months

245sam, Aug 6, 1:46am
Many months IMO.:-))

holly-rocks, Aug 6, 1:55am
For years!

The bfs father who lives in wellington has been complaining about Canadian beef for years!

carlosjackal, Aug 6, 2:18am
Maybe the reason I didn't know is because I normally buy meat from our local butcher. Or perhaps I just very ignorant!

griffo4, Aug 6, 10:09pm
Countdown is not NZ owned so they buy where they can get it cheapest and yes it has been going on for years

dezzie, Aug 6, 10:16pm
This time of the year theres not much local fresh beef.so they import it, wintertime = slow grass growth so stock are on maintainence feeding levels, with a bit of grass and a lot of hay, once the spring growth booms away again, then the grass levels are increased and the stock grows and fattens up to "prime" and ends up in the supermarket.
lol, but I've NEVER seen canadian beef here, and only aussie stuff this time of the year.

nfh1, Aug 6, 10:19pm
I buy all my meat from a local butchers, but have noticed that our local Countdown always has beef from Australia in, usually on special.

I would be more worried about the marinaded stuff to be honest, could be anything under there.

beaker59, Aug 6, 10:47pm
Pack and Save had beef on special last year it was rump and had both Australian and NZ in two sep chillers side by side I got one of each andcouldn't tell the difference both good.

One thing people forget when they get all antsy about only buying NZ made if the rest of the world did the same then we wouldn't have a market for our exports and NZ economy would collapse overnight.

tommydog, Aug 7, 6:52am
Is Aussie beef grass fed does anyone know!

lcscott, Aug 7, 11:19pm
aussie has both grass fed and grain fed beefthey the same as us when it comes time to raising beef cattle

carter19, Aug 7, 11:46pm
I'd like to know why our meat is so expensive. If they can bring Ozzie beef over here and sell it so cheap, it just shows our lot are really creaming it. For the record, the Australian beef tastes good.

propagator, Aug 8, 4:17am
Its not only beef that's imported.A couple of weeks ago my hubby bought McCains oven fries that were on 'special' at pak'nsave here in Timaru.Not only were they crappy but on checking their origin found that they were a 'product of Australia'We grow and process them for McCains here in our district! Figure that one out.
Mrs P

wasgonna, Aug 8, 4:42am
Here one even better. Bought a pack of frozen chips from Countdown, Select brand. Found out later . product of the Netherlands, and they were bloody awful. Gone back to making my own.

tahnasha, Aug 8, 6:47am
We import pork too don't we!I brought some NZ fillet steak here in Oz last year on special, and it was cheap as chips.I cant understand why meat is so expensive in NZ, pork roasts in NZ are about $15.00kg!In Coles, they're $7.00kg.It's ridiculous!

chatsmom, Aug 8, 7:01am
We also import veges. I went to get some frozen corn cobs today, looked at the back of the Watties bag & it said packed inNZ from imported ingredients!
Got the Talleys instead.

aldis, Aug 8, 9:18am
Or how about pork spare ribs from Finland, bought recently from Prestons Butchers in Te Aro

waipawa, Aug 8, 11:39am
I used to have a job that involved reloading photocopiers with paper. I was amazed to read on the packaging that this paper was from Australia. We have half the central north Island planted in Pine forests galore, sawmills are closing down from lack of business and yet somehow it is more economic to import paper from Australia.WTF is wrong with this country's industry! Are we fabulously inefficient or what!I just don't get it. Next we'll be importing sheep.

dezzie, Aug 8, 9:09pm
I got pork leg roast for $6.99 yesterday.we've always imported pork, theres not enough pig farmers because basically they don't make enough money, I think we import about 800 tonne a week.

lcscott, Aug 8, 11:06pm
our meat here is so expensive because we have to compete with overseas for the product resulting in a high cost for ussame with dairy products we pay more or less what they do

wasgonna, Aug 9, 5:47am
So why is everything half the cost in Australia including our cheese and butter.

dezzie, Aug 9, 6:45am
I'm not sure "our" cheese and butter is cheaper there, but Coles supermarket is actually owned by a dairy company, so they've really screwed the prices down and forced the other supermarkets to follow suit, but they've also caused a govt inquiry into how much they are paying (or not paying) their farmers.
What we need if for fonterra to start selling their product thru their own shops, I realise it might be a bit of a hike for those who live in the big cities, but for everyone else it'd be excellent.

air.rowcj, Aug 9, 6:54am
About 76% of all food is imported

beaker59, Aug 9, 1:52pm
Dairy factories used to have factory shops attached I remember Mum coming home from visits to family in Hamilton with boxs of butter and cheese she would freeze the butter and can't remember how she stored the cheese but I think in a fridge in the garage. That was 45 yrs ago though.

Do they still do that, they claim its the supermarkets profiteering if they sold in competition then the price would soon come down I bet.

beaker59, Aug 9, 1:59pm
Don't think I have ever seen pork roasts at $15.00kg usually its $10 at worst and I have seen shoulder roasts(which are the best roasts anyway) as low as $4.99, lately there have been allot of specials andhave got excellent quality rump steak for $7.95 lamb legs same price and topside beef roasts as low as $5.99. Thats the thing with an export led industry when things are good for them our meat is expensive but then when things get tough we get to enjoy some amazing specials like now. Probably why most kiwi family homes have a freezer.