I have so much gravy beef, topside etc

lolasmum, Jul 17, 4:42am
in my freezer, we are naughty at eating everything else first, we do eat alot of mince, if i bought a mincer would these cuts be suitable also does anyone know what brand would be best tia

kinna54, Jul 17, 5:02am
Great for casseroles, pot roasts, slow cooker meals.
I'm not sure if you can still buy mincers!: haven't seen one in years. My old mum had one that screwed to the bench.
Probably replaced by a type of kitchen whizz or some new machine with a shredder mincemeat attachment that costs a fortune these days.
Have a good look on good ol TM.you might get a 2nd hand one.

liamjosh, Jul 17, 5:16am
Second hand marts have them but they aren't cheap

4meows, Jul 17, 5:17am
Mince is typically the crappier cuts. As pieces of mince are small, it is harder to tell if it is tough or not.

245sam, Jul 17, 5:17am
The old-style mincers are indeed still available - the last time I saw one (new) advertised my eyes just about popped out of my head at the price and I can't now recall exactly what that was but just last week when we were in one of our Christchurch stores my DH spotted the same type of mincers - he didn't say exactly what was on the price tag but his comment was "Whew, they're expensive now!"As well as the Kenwood attachment we still have the inherited good old fix-on-to-the-bench type so weren't interested in buying a mincer hence the fact that we didn't take more notice of the exact price.:-))

antoniab, Jul 17, 5:35am
We bought a George Foreman electric mincer from Briscoes a couple of months ago on sale for under $200.
Has sausage making attachments too (why we bought it).

shop-a-holic, Jul 17, 5:37am
"Topside Mince" was labelled as such quite a few years ago and available everywhere. This was before the common labels since today called "Beef Mince"; "Premium Beef Mince" or "Angus Beef Mince" etc.

Topside mince was a little darker in colour; had alot more flavour and not much fat and added water.

Oh the good ole days!
Today, we have no idea what part of the cattle Beef Mince comes from.

I hope you enjoy your mincing :-)

tania007, Jul 17, 6:56am
Beef and beer casserole done in the crockpot with dumplings on top is yum.

southbrook1, Jul 19, 9:45pm
the warehouse sells old style mincers i got one to use on pauas about 50 dollars i think

winnie231, Jul 19, 10:05pm
Make a big casserole from the gravy beef and then use it to make pies.
Casserole often gets groans from families but wrap it in pastry and they wolf it down!

iman007, Jul 19, 11:45pm
ii use my whizz to make mince, no worries, but thats only if i havnt got mince, which i usually do!
good luck, i would just casserole the meat, yum

beaker59, Jul 19, 11:58pm
Get a mincer and mince it I do this all the time the really gristly senewy stuff is best casseroled though as it is really nice very long and slow cooked.

autumnwinds, Jul 20, 12:33am
OMG - don't mince it!Invest in a slow cooker if youdon't have one and mke the BEST flavoured casseroles, loaded with vegetables (basics: onion, celery, carrot) cut small if the kids aren't keen. Use the many wonderful packet mixes if you want to be extra-lazy but flavoruful, and let 'er rip.Then get some cheap ovenproof mealsized round dishes from either the $2 shop or the supermarket (Big for adults, smaller for kids), and freeze the meat in these.When ready for a quick meal, bring out, defrost in microwave, put in oven, top with a sheet of flakey pastry cut into pietopping sizes. easy-peasy.

Gravy beef truly has the best flavour, why cut it into mince!You have the freezer, obviously, so make the bulk casseroles in the crockpot, and find invetive ways to serve - as above, with a pastry cap, topped with pompom potatoes, with dumplings.

autumnwinds, Jul 20, 12:37am
Try your topsode roasts in the slowcooker, too - defrost, place on a base of sliced onions, carrot rings, and other veges, then put a mix of maggi onion soup and flour on a supermarket bag, roll the topside piece in this twice, and brown well in a mix of butter and oil.Place on top of the veges in the crockpot, add a dash of worchestershire sauce, 1/3 a cup of water, and leave it on high for and hour, then turn to low for several hours.Cuts like a dream, is tender as, and great for sandwiches - if any is left.The Veges are in their own gravy to serve with the meat.

PLEASE don't turn those two really great cuts of meat into mince!

punkinthefirst, Jul 20, 11:45am
Agreewith both of these postings. braise or stew or casserole the gravy and shin beef - it is wonderfully flavourful. Add a pie crust or mashed potato top for variety. And the topside makes a great pot roast, as well as being great cooked as a braise or casserole. Whatever you do, cook them slowly. Add vegetables and maybe a bit of wine and you will have something a French cook would be proud to serve.
Find a book on French Provincial Cooking in your local library and see what we mean!