Is there such a thing as easy sour dough bread?

dons14, Jul 15, 1:10am
Iv been on a bread making binge. Made bagel's, the yummy ciabatta someone posted here and have a sour dough starter ready to go. but - the the recipe's Iv found so far are really tricky. Really should have checked before i did the starter lol. Anyone got an easy recipe!

griffo4, Jul 15, 1:42am
This is the recipe l am making at present which is really easy and no kneading and love it
Have you used the search option on the left hand side as there is a number of recipes and if you put in last year in the date posted l am sure there are plenty of recipes
The recipe below was posted on here by someone else
Good Luck

Jacquelines Sour Dough Bread
The day before you want to bake the bread.
Morning:
½ cup sour dough starter (taken out of fridge in morning, feed if needed)
½ cup kibbled wheat and ¼ cup kibbled rye soaked in ¾ cup boiling water until cold.
Later in day:
2 ¼ cups cold water
5 cups high grade bread flour, more for dusting
(can replace one cup one of the white flour with one cup of rye flour)
2 Tbsp gluten (optional)
½ cup bran
2 ½ teaspoons salt
1. Stir together the live bubbly starter and water in a large bowl.
Add soaked kibbled grains, stir.
Add dry ingredients and mix well until a shaggy wet dough forms. Leave covered with glad wrap on bench for 12 hours or longer (in cold weather may need 18 hours). The dough needs to have bubbles forming on the top when ready.
2. The next morning if dough not ready, weather is cool and I want to speed up the process I heat the oven to 50 deg C, turn oven off and place the bowl of dough into the warm oven to continue rising.
When the dough is ready ( all bubbly on top) lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough out on to it. Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. No kneading necessary. Dust dough with more flour and place the dough seam side down into an oiled 3 L bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours (may need 4 hours). (When dough is ready, it will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.)
4. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 230 deg C and place a 4 ½ Litre (22 cm diameter) cast iron dutch oven with lid in to heat for that half hour. Can also place a cast iron frypan or plate on the rack below the dutch oven. (It keeps the oven hot and prevents bottom of loaf from over browning)
A ceramic or pyrex casserole container may be used instead of cast iron.
5. When dough is ready and no longer springs back, use a silicone spatula to gently ease dough out of bowl and into the hot dutch oven container. Take care not to break any dough strands. Dough will end up seam side up. Put lid on container and place in oven.
6. Bake at 220 deg for 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 10 -15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack. Should sound hollow when tapped, if not return to oven to cook for further 5 minutes.
Cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool. The bread stays fresh much longer if left until cold before slicing so that moisture does not escape.

dons14, Jul 15, 5:37am
Thanx griffo. kinda looks tricky tho.

cat_sandcastle, Jul 15, 6:31am
Bloody heck ^^^ thats toooo convoluted lol

put 1cup starter into bowl with
2cups organic wholemeal rye flour
2cups water
mix and let sit overnight
if you want to add seeds then in a seperate bowl cover with water and 1 teaspoon of salt and sit overnight

in the morning remove 1cup of mix (this is your next starter)

add 2cups flour and 1tsp salt, mix and allow to sit 2-4hrs

bake for 50min in a well buttered glass

cat_sandcastle, Jul 15, 6:36am
Grrrr phones.

Bake for 50min in a WELL buttered glass bread baking dish, once cooked remove from dish otherwise it goes soggy, allow to cool before carving, slather with butter and enjoy :-)

griffo4, Jul 15, 6:51am
No it is so easy l feed my starter in the morning and at night l add 1/2 cup starter and water and then all the other stuff and mix it up and leave over night then next day put on bench and move about and then leave 15mins then put in oiled container and leave 2hrs plus then bake so easy for me anyway

peterbk, Jul 25, 12:23am
I have just seen my original recipe posted here "Jacquelines slow rise no knead sour dough bread."I am glad to see people enjoying it.
It looks complicated because I gave lots of detailed instructions but it really is a very easy, absoulutely no knead bread that has a great flavour, chew factor and fabulous crust. It is baked in a pre heated baking container and covered which causes steam to be generated, hence the crust. Lately I have been reducing the starter to 1 tbsp and increased the water to 2 1/2 cups. Also if you dont have any sour dough starter you can add 1/3 tsp instant yeast to flour instead. It gives a loaf just like the original vogels bread, great toasted too.
I also often add1/2 cup of seeds -sunflower pumpkin sesame and flax seeds.
Jacqueline

griffo4, Jul 25, 1:24am
Hi Beaker l have just seen this post and l have got stuck on Jacqueline's recipe at present as l am time poor as well and that recipe works well for me but l have just pulled out your recipe and l will try it next time l make bread
l have been using your ciabatta recipe using 2 tablespoon starter and it works really well even with the wholemeal flour
l am loving making bread with my own starter and really notice the taste between commercial bread and my own and it is much more filling as well

beaker59, Jul 25, 1:38pm
Well done Griffo.

Once I have finished this hellish work contract I am going to fit out my SIL's new bakery and interfere with the baking plans (hoping to introduce a few sourdough products). By then the spring runs of snapper will be on again and I will dissapear on the boat for another summer :)

beaker59, Jul 25, 1:41pm
Oh and Griffo I see on your profile you are in Dargaville do you know anything about the new massive mantis shrimps turning up in the harbour around there. I hear they are fiddly but delicious ask a local flounder fisherman apparently they pick them up in thier nets.

griffo4, Jul 25, 9:16pm
No l haven't heard about those mantis shrimps but will keep my ears open and may have to pull our net out and try and find some

bernice1, Jul 25, 10:09pm
A great article in the ODT all about sourdough.

http://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/health-fitness/expert-advice/218451/learn-basics-bake-bread

I don't use a mixer to knead, I use the French method, Richard Bertinet has good books on this, look on you tube for demos.

griffo4, Jul 30, 7:46am
Beaker l used your recipe today and it is really nice and l put the kibbled grains in
l remember now that l made your recipe when l did my first sourdough bread and then went to Jacqueline's recipe
We tried some tonight and we both like it
l am getting to grips with this sour dough even though l haven't spent alot of time with it but love it anyway, so easy