Will dough rise in fridge overnight?

helen59, Mar 29, 9:14pm
I am going out for breakfast on Sunday morning. I want to take freshly made hot cross buns. Could I make and shape them on Saturday night and leave them in the fridge to rise overnight?

veejay13, Mar 29, 9:15pm
I don't think they'd rise in the fridge. I'm no baker, but don't they need warmth?

harrislucinda, Mar 29, 9:25pm
no need warmth the only bread that goes in fridge is sour dough something like that

diamondgirl06, Mar 29, 9:26pm
Why the fridge? I'd leave them in the hot water cupboard so the yeast can do its work

davidt4, Mar 29, 10:22pm
The dough will rise slowly in the fridge and will develop flavour. If you can take them out and leave at room temperature for half an hour before you bake them they should be fine. Cover the buns loosely in the fridge so that they don't develop a hard skin.

amasser, Mar 29, 10:55pm
Search for 'proofing dough' - warm, humid place is more common method.

lythande1, Mar 30, 1:00am
They would, but oh so slowly.

uli, Mar 30, 3:11am
I would let them rise slightly before you put them in the fridge, so they will just slow down but do not have to start from 4 degrees. And yes take them out half an hour before you bake them. And put them in a hot oven.

kindajojo, Mar 30, 4:09am
Why not just put them in the cold oven overnight

autumnwinds, Mar 30, 9:50am
I agree.

A partial rise, then in the fridge overnight, take out 1/2 - 3/4 hour before baking, making sure they rise sufficiently.

A slow rise in the fridge will produce a better result than the possibility of over-proofing by not putting in fridge.

gennie, Apr 1, 9:50am
The brioche recipe I use rises in the fridge overnight before shaping in the morning and letting to rise another 30 mins before cooking. I think it depends on the recipe, how much yeast etc. Give it a go (and remember to record your results for the following year and what changes you'd make).

uli, Apr 3, 5:15am
So - which method did you use and how good (or not) was it?
This is all about sharing - so let us know if it was a success or not!
Thanks!

arielbooks, Apr 3, 7:51pm
And check your best used by date for yeast. I opened a new jar and thought it wasn't working properly and yes you guessed I had bought old stock from the super market.

uli, Apr 4, 7:47am
Waves to helen59 .

uli, Oct 4, 6:09pm
Would have loved to hear what OP did in the end and how it panned out.