Party suggestions please?! I'm a first-timer!

allurs, Jun 25, 6:13am
Hi guys!
I have got a few friends coming round to stay the night this weekend. We intend on going out on Saturday night and I am wanting to do a dinner party before we go out!
I need some ideas from you guys because I don't ant to do a big heavy meal, I just want some light simple dishes, but one's that make people go WOW (first impressions last) but I dont want them to leave us with a heavy tummy before we hit the town! - i'll prob fall asleep! hahaha

TIA!

elliehen, Jun 25, 6:35am
This could tick the boxes - it's light and simple and doesn't leave guests feeling stuffed.It's my fall-back quick recipe for visitors, but in spite of not having a fancy name, it always seems to 'wow' them.

FISH BAKE

Combine:
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
rind & juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 Tbs mustard (any.I like whole seed)
1 Tbs sweet chilli sauce
handful fresh basil or rosemary (optional)

Arrange fillets in baking dish
Pour over mix
Bake uncovered 200*C 10 -15 mins

This recipe makes enough 'sauce' for two large Terakihi fillets which would make four servings.I'd double it for six to eight.I like to serve it with broccoli and hot crusty bread at this time of year (green salad and waxy new potatoes in summer).I've made it with monkfish fillets too, for chunky portions that hold together well.

allurs, Jun 25, 8:39am
Wow thanks,great idea!

jessie981, Jun 25, 9:08am
Pass on the fish dish. Stays on the breath. Maybe do a dish where peeps can serve themselves. Some may not feel like eating before partying. I'd go more for nibbles

sossie1, Jun 25, 9:09am
go to the supermarket, buy ready roast chickens, and fill up containers at the Deli bar, and buy some nice bread and dips.

lazy i know, but you can at least hang out instead of cooking/

jessie981, Jun 25, 9:26am
Good idea sossie!

aglarana, Jun 25, 9:31am
What is your budget! And are you leaning towards more of a finger food event or a sit-down event! And how many people!

aglarana, Jun 25, 9:31am
Also.are there any dietary/allergy considerations!

2young1, Jun 25, 9:56am
nachos and salad but do it fancy

allurs, Jun 25, 11:01am
There will be 4 late 20 early 30's ladies! No dietary concerns! Budget wise, less is best but yeah in the middle as well!
It prob will be at the table but won't be formal, it will be the whole lot of us telling life stories and laughing our heads off!

Thanks guys!

nik12, Jun 25, 2:42pm
I would do home made pizza (even if you buy the bases) chicken, brie, red onion, a bit of plum sauce and cheese. tasty on the bottom then other ingredients, then mozzeralla on top. and oven baked wedges (bought from the freezer section) and garlic bread.
Or I'd do pasta with a mince and tomato sauce. with salad and garlic bread.Both good with red wine. and not bad at all with white :-)

deedonk, Jun 26, 4:53am
What a great time to have a fondu!

jetxr8, Jun 26, 5:12am
Hello Allurs,
If you are also wanting to offer a dessert, here's a recipe for one that isvery quick and easy.It is also WOW and yummy!

CITRUSFLAN
INGREDIENTS:
4 eggs1 cup white sugar
½ cup melted butter100 grams sliced almonds
1 cup desiccated coconut
Grated ring of 1 lemonGrated rind of 1 orange
½ cup lemon juice½ cup orange juice
1 cup milk¾ cup flour (sifted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
METHOD:
Heat oven at 180 degrees C.Grease a 25 cm diameter flan dish.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process for 1 minute.
Pour into greased flan dish.(It will be really runny.)
Bake for about 35 minutes until a skewer inserted in it, comes out clean.(Check in last 5 minutes because it browns very quickly)
Take out of oven, cool briefly, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.(And berries, if you want.)
(VARIATION: Use only lemon juice and rind, or only orange juice & rind.)

allurs, Jun 26, 8:25am
oooooo yummy! thank you!

chchgurl, Jun 26, 8:44am
I would go with yummy nibbles. Stuffed mushrooms, nice cheese with crackers, fancy crusty bread and nice dips, maybe even a cob loaf, chicken tenders/nibbles, sushi (can even cheat and buy a platter if you don't want to make it) mini meatballs, olives etc. Always pretty popular when I have done that with drinks :)

juliewn, Jun 26, 9:24am
I agree ChChgurl. we love antipasto platters. a favourite way to share meals with friends. lots of things to try, lots of things to enjoy. and great for a get-together.

Cold meats, salami's, maybe mussels, cheeses, pickles, chutney's, relishes, hummous, pesto, We always include fresh fruit and veges with ours. kiwifruit, oranges/mandarins, pineapple, pears, etc.celery, carrots, young fresh swede's, kohl rabi, peas in their pods, and some parsley sprigs too,for placing with hummous on breads.

If you want something hot, grill some haloumi cheese or lamb steaks or chicken thighs, and bacon, till it's crisp. and you can warm crusty bread or rolls just before serving if you want.

Most can be done in advance, cover with plastic wrap and keep in your fridge, so you can enjoy time with your friends.

Have a great time together.

angel404, Jun 26, 9:52am
If im planning to go out i prefer to eat things like cheese and rice crackers, vege sticks and hummus, chips n dip, maybe some lil breakfast sausages wrapped in bacon on toothpicks, breads with oil and sundried tomatoes etc. Not exactly fancy but yum as and easy for you to prepare.

elliehen, Jun 26, 10:18am
Now that you say it's a girls' night out, that means it can be really relaxed and informal.I'd go with the antipasto platter idea and make it a Middle Eastern one with pita bread and hummus etcIt's great fun chatting and laughing around a platter with a small bunch of friends.

allurs, Jun 27, 5:39pm
Thank you all for your ideas! I think i'll just go by lots of diff platters - wondering how to create a hot food platter!!

kokopuff, Jun 27, 10:48pm
maybe little sausage rolls, samosas, mini spring rolls with dipping sauce, Beautiful Tapas.

elliehen, Jun 27, 10:57pm
Nachos!Garlic potato wedges!