What is a nice dinner that would go with mulled

mattdylan, Jul 10, 9:02pm
wine! Thanks

shop-a-holic, Jul 10, 9:33pm
A luxurious beef bourguignon served in hollowed out Cobb loaves, and a candied orange and mixed spiced baked cheesecake, with a dark chocolate base to follow.

winnie231, Jul 10, 9:36pm
A roast dinner. The following is a recipe from countdown that I have made using chicken instead of turkey. It's very good .
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/Recipe/428!name=roast-turkey-with-bacon-apple-and-cranberry-stuffing

geldof, Jul 10, 9:41pm
That sounds perfect. (with or without the mulled wine.)
Yum.

kiwitrish, Jul 10, 9:53pm
Do you have the recipe for the cheese cake please!Sounds so good.

mattdylan, Jul 10, 10:00pm
Oh my lord sounds wonderful, thanks!

cookessentials, Jul 10, 10:05pm
snap, i was thinking the same thing

cookessentials, Jul 10, 10:06pm
A lovely rich red meat dish is always nice with mulled wine.

shop-a-holic, Jul 10, 10:37pm
Thisdouble-layered baked cheesecake is a two-day process. It is easy to swap out ingredients to produce various flavours.

Swap out the Orange and Spices for Lemon, or add Lemons and Limes and add Gin, for a Gin and Tonic Double Baked Cheese cake.Cocoa can be omitted from the crust, if you'd like it plain.

Fruits like Blueberries can be placed onto of the crust before pouring in the filling, or swirl Raspberry Puree over the cheesecake topping instead of honey and candied oranges.

This is supposed to serve 12 peeps if you have a great eye for cutting, but it mostly serves 6 gluttons most handsomely.

Arrange oven shelves (middle) and preheat oven 350F or 175C. Grease and line the base of a 23cm (9 inch) round springform cake pan.

Crust
1 and 1/4 Cups flour
1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
Zest of 1 Orange
60gms cold Butter, cubed
2 Tablespoons Dutch Cocoa Powder
1 Large Beaten Egg

Filling
3 Cups (750gms) Cream Cheese, softened
1 Cup Caster Sugar
3 large Eggs
Zest of 1 Orange plus Juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Topping
2 Cups (500gms) Sour Cream
Zest of 1 Orange
4 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Ground All Spice
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

To Decorate: Caramelise whole sliced Oranges in butter and brown sugar over a med-high heat. Set aside to cool, and refrigerate.

Method Crust
In a food processor, blend flour, sugar, orange zest, butter and cocoa until crumbs form. Pour the egg into the processor and pulse until mixture begins to bind. Press the crumbs evenly into the base of the greased pan and smooth with the back of a spoon.

Method Filling
Blend filling ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour onto the crust and bake until filling is just set (approx 55-65 minutes). Remove from oven.

Method Topping
Combine sour cream, orange zest and sugar into a food processor. Pour the mixture evenly over the baked cheesecake and bake for a further 10 minutes.

Cool and refrigerate overnight. Slide a knife around the edge of the cheesecake and remove from pan before serving, decorating the top with candied orange rounds and drizzle with runny honey.

Cook: 55-65 minutes (plus 10 mins for topping)
Middle Shelf. Temps 350F or 175C (I work in degrees F)
I typed this on my desk top, then copied and pasted, so we didn't time out!
xox

kiwitrish, Jul 10, 11:04pm
Thank you for the recipe.Definitely going to try it.

cookessentials, Jul 10, 11:05pm
Yum I shall be saving the cheesecake recipe, it looks delicious. I prefer a baked cheesecake to one with gelatine.

shop-a-holic, Jul 10, 11:36pm
Household Hint: Oven mode: BAKE (not fan or Aero). I find AeroBake will cook the top faster than setting it in the middle.Oven Shelf Number 8 (or in the middle). You don't want the bottom cooking faster than the fillings.
If you have Pastry Bake mode, then that will be perfect.

fifie, Jul 11, 12:15am
Sounds lovely, Thanks for sharing.

sarahb5, Jul 11, 1:23am
If you want something similar to mulled wine without the messing around with spices, fruit, etc. then try Mac's winter cider with blackcurrant and manuka heated gently (I did mine in the microwave) and add a cinnamon stick - so good.

mattdylan, Jul 11, 2:46am
yea its like the Old Mout mulled cider, I bought a special mulled wine spice pack, just need to add wine and orange juice and done!

cookessentials, Jul 11, 3:18am
I'm liking the sound of the orange and spices.not too sweet.

nunesy, Jul 11, 3:27am
I was wondering the same thing (the original question).The beef dish in Cobb loaves sounds good, I've seen it in photos, but doesn't the stew soak through the bread!Do you just add it when you're about to serve!Thanks.

shop-a-holic, Jul 11, 3:49am
Add it when ready to serve. Also with loaves so fresh, scoop the bread out and toast slighty to dry out and crisp up in the oven.Rub the interior with garlic and butter, with tossed chopped italian parsley and thyme if you dare. Oh so naughty!

elliehen, Jul 11, 3:54am
.and positively dangerous!I'mgoing to skip the cob loaf and go straight to spicy cheesecake and mulled wine ;)

shop-a-holic, Jul 11, 4:06am
I've also been known to poach whole fresh koura; pop one on top of the beef bourguignon with his claws oveer the edge; slap the cobb loaf lid on; wrap in wide satin ribbons and serve with a smouldering cinnamon quill. The guests are then able to eat with aromas as well.

{I've got to stop this}.All secrets are out.

darlingmole, Jul 11, 6:20am
shop-a-holic your cheesecake recipe sounds decadent and YOU sound like a delight!