Baked Apple recipe ? My mum used to bake stuffed

17007, Jun 14, 2:25am
apples - but sadly I don't have the recipe - Can anyone help me with suggestions please.

petal1955, Jun 14, 2:30am
Whole apples.use an apple corer to take out the centre.then place apples on a greased dished and fill the hollowed out centre with a mixture of dried fruit.sultanas,,chopped dried apricots. .chopped dates and brown sugar or honeycinnamon.bake in a hot oven

geldof, Jun 14, 2:49am
I made these a couple of nights ago.
Stuffed them then sprinkled with coconut and a small piece of butter.
I put a small amount of water in the bottom of the dish and ended up with a caramelly sauce to have with them.

Yum.
They take a while to bake.Good couple of hours.

kinna54, Jun 14, 3:50am
you can also do them quite easily in the microwave.with a bit of water. (just a couple of Tbsps in the bottom ofa microwave dish*to prevent burning of the dish*,) use thesame fruit mix and cinnamon, just core the apples and stuff. Cooking time depends upon quantity of apples but only takes a few mins.

tigerlilly16, Jun 14, 4:52am
Remember to cut the skin in a ring around the centre. This lets the cooking flesh expand and stops them exploding. My mum always used a mixture of either currants, sultanas or raisins (or a combination of these) with lemon zest and brown sugar, and a little cinnamon and nutmeg, tightly packed into core-cavity then a knob of butter on top, add a little water to the bottom of the dish, cooking time at least an hour, (she would put in while cooking a roast or casserole). I have also made them using store-bought Christmas fruit mince as filling. Delicious with vanilla icecream and the pan juices spooned over!

indy95, Jun 14, 4:58am
Tigerlilly16, your mum and mine apparently thought the same wayabout baked apples and your description sounds so good I just have to put some in the oven to have after the roast. Just the thing for a cold miserable night. Thanks for the inspiration !

tigerlilly16, Jun 14, 5:05am
You are welcome, this thread has inspired me too!
Also just to add if you dont own an apple corer, it it easy to remove the core using a thinnish blade knife, and make a cut down from the top through the apple on all four sides of the core to make a square that you can then push out (sometimes pushing up from bottom is easier).

indy95, Jun 14, 5:12am
Thanks for the hint which is timely as my much-used apple corer recently snapped halfway through prepping a big pile of apples and I haven't replaced it yet.

jessie981, Jun 14, 5:29am
And homemade runny custard please.!

pam.delilah, Jun 14, 6:39am
trySavoury Stuffed Apples

8 cooking apples, eg granny smith
Stuffing:
1 small onion, finely chopped,
1 clove garlic very finely chopped,
¼ cup walnuts and ¼ cup pistachios orothers
¼ cup dried cranberries/
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon liquid honey

Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook onion and garlic with a dash of oil in a small pan over gentle heat until onion is soft and transparent. Remove from heat and stir in remaining stuffing ingredients.Core apples and cut a line through the skin around the circumference and fill each apple
Place in a lined baking dish. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes.

or

50g butter
1 small onion , finely chopped
1 small lemon , grated zest
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary needles
6 good-sized apples , Golden Delicious or granny smith

In a pan melt the butter and cook the onion gently until soft but not browned, Off the heat, add the lemon zest, breadcrumbs and rosemary. Season well. Core the apples. Cut a line through the skin all round the each one . Fill each apple with onion stuffing.
Place in a lined baking dish. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes.

Can place the apples around roast pork in the last 30mins