Anyone else had YUCK chicken lately?

Page 1 / 2
andrea09, May 21, 1:36am
On 3 occasions in the last 2 weeks i have cooked with chicken and every time the same thing. stringy, rubbery,chewy texture which is horrible to eat. AND nope, not overcooked either.
Once was chicken breast wrapped in bacon- baked, second was marinated chicken breast cut up for butter chicken and 3rd was a frozen tegal chicken cooked in an oven bag yesterday which was horrible we couldn't even eat it. Dogs are going to love me tonight!
Each of these were purchased from the supermarket.should i switch to a proper butcher! what could be the issue here!

davidt4, May 21, 1:45am
Try free range chicken instead of battery raised chicken.Organic free range is even better if your budget allows.

kinna54, May 21, 1:50am
I have had drumsticks which have been rubbery.I usually tend to look out for the larger drums and avoid them, as they can have a tough sinew thru them, but these were quite smallish.
Yep you have to pick where you buy them.

lythande1, May 21, 2:21am
Chicken breast is yuk. Dry, stringy, ick. I always buy legs.

andrea09, May 21, 2:28am
Im going to try the butcher I've just started going to 'cashmere cuisine' as they do 'free farmed'. I've always just bought from supermarket as its a lot cheaper but now, I'm all about quality!
Just lately ive noticed the issue tho so wondering if its just the certain supermarket im buying from maybe.2 different ones in the same chain tho.

andrea09, May 21, 6:05am
has anyone actually tried free range chicken! does it taste much different!

icefinery, May 21, 6:24am
We only use free range chicken and we don't have any problems. They taste gamier.

antoniab, May 21, 6:27am
We only ever eat free range chicken and never buy breast (just thighs or whole chook). Its more expensive but if we cant afford it that week, I dont buy it, simple really - Id rather go without than buy battery or barn raised chicken.

karenz, May 21, 6:54am
New World are selling Turks chicken which I think is barn raised, I buy the thighs and they cook up a lot better than the Tegels brand, even the colour of the meat is a bit darker.The price is around the same. Countdown sell free range thighs and breast which is also good but priced a lot higher.I never buy breast it is too dry.Chicken thighs with the bone in are even better, gives more flavour and you can always remove the bones post cooking if they bother you.

bexkee, May 21, 7:02am
I hate to think what they are feeding those unhappy chickens. I always only ever buy free range. It is more expensive but at least there's slightly less guilt involved. I still feel pangs of sorrow for the chookie who died but at least it's felt the sun on it's back and had a good run about before it got the chop.

holly-rocks, May 21, 7:44am
agree 100% :)

falcon-hell, May 21, 8:33am
I bought two tegal chickens recently and they were bloody awful-they were really dry-a gumboot would have been more moist,lol.

andrea09, May 21, 8:46am
thanks for the tips everyone :)

katje, Jun 21, 7:44am
Yes it does. Ive switched to free range chicken and eggs now

radark, Jun 21, 7:47am
yuk chicken is gross anyway

kiwiscrapper1, Jun 21, 9:35am
We have our own eggs when they decide to lay them! But don't eat the chickens, I bought a free range organic chook for dinner and cooked in an oven bag it was lovely moist and tender, so yes organic is nicer

katje, Jun 21, 9:53am
now I want fried chicken ;)

beaker59, Jun 21, 12:22pm
Turks cornfed free range (yeah I know its not really free range but its close enough for me :) they taste much better particularly the bigger sizes. I have had all sorts of people come and ask why my roast chicken tastes so much better, what do I add they ask! is it a marinade! no just plain chicken but better quality.

Std chicken from one of the big companies just taste rubbish by comparison and as for the roast ones at the supermarket well they are just cardboard soaked in fat.

seano7, Jun 24, 2:16am
if it helps my 3 year old son thinks everything is yuck

lythande1, Jun 24, 3:54am
Chicken breast is yuk.
As for the rest, it's how it's cooked, a broiling hen can be delicious moist and tender.

momma1, Jun 24, 8:14am
I have had a couple of chicken yuck experiences lately. one lot came from export meat warehouse (thighs) and they were AWFUL, fatty and had to trim so much off them, and they'd folded fat underneath so you couldn't see it. I will never buy anything from there again (this was my first and last time) and tonight we had roast chicken and although i'm sure the packaging didn't say it, think it had been tender basted UGHHHHHHH

frier, Jul 3, 7:07am
Place whole raw free range chicken in pot of boiling water for 30 mins,take out and roast as normal for another 30 mins, deliciously moist and tender every time

queenmaeb, Jul 3, 7:11am
Ummmmmm - dont feed chicken bones to dogs is what I've always been told. They fragment in their gut and act like broken glass.

ruby19, Jul 3, 7:49am
I don't eat chicken, but do buy the family the Turks brand whole chicken, they enjoy it. I cook my chicken probably just for an hour, and it always comes out juicey and cooked.

terraalba, Jul 3, 11:54pm
We've stopped buying Tegal frozen chickens because of the water that seeps out of them when we cook them. Other brands don't do that quite so much.