Easy Batter recipes

petetang, Jun 1, 3:47am
Need an easy batter recipe for deep frying

ange164, Jun 1, 4:03am
edmonds beer batter.

petetang, Jun 1, 4:05am
I have No Beer !:(

ange164, Jun 1, 4:16am
What about the "crisp batter" then. That's pretty tasty too. I usually make it a bit thinner by adding a dash or two of extra milk so I don't get a cakey texture. It truly is a nice crispy one.

I don't think edmonds is the highest of cuisine, but I don't think it should be overlooked either for its contributions to basic cookery.

winnie231, Jun 1, 4:24am
batter for fish the one I use is: 1 cup flour, 1 -2 eggs depends on size, 1tsp baking powder, salt and pepper to taste and water to give right consistency.
can use self raising flour instead.
I roll fish in plain flour first then into batter and do same with hot dogs, gives the batter something to stick to.
Alternative which I prefer is to season some plain flour and roll fish into it and panfry. gives a nice coating to the fish.

cgvl

winnie231, Jun 1, 4:25am
self raising flour. pinch or two of salt. mix with chilled water till 'run off spoon' consistency. add pinch or two of lemon pepper (if wanted). dip fish into corn flour and shake off excess., into batter and cook in deep fryer till nicely set. remove and set aside. remove 'bits' in the oil with slotted spoon. do all fish the same way. turn oil up to hot. and double cook for a nice crispy thin batter. do scallops, oysters, mussels, sausages etc the same way. twice cooking is the key. (twice cook chips as well to make them crispy) cold soda water is better than plain cold water

Edited by fisher at 4:56 pm, Thu 3 Nov

fisher

winnie231, Jun 1, 4:26am
1 cup flour, 2 tsp BP. ½ tsp baking soda, good pinch salt and pepper.
Mix all with cold water til smooth and dip lightly floured fish in the batter.
Fry in hot oil. (the soda makes it crisp)

camper18

petetang, Jun 1, 4:43am
Thanks all :)

valentino, Jun 1, 8:56am
Dipped into beated egg then into cornflour is nice also for some items.