Help on use of poffertjes pan?

dealz4all, May 19, 8:34pm
I have a poffertjes pan that a brought a while ago made out of cast iron. I want to make dutch pancakes.Is it ok to put the poffertjes pan directly on the element of the stove to cook the poffertjes! Also does anyone have a tried and true recipe for these tasy morsils! Many thanks

indy95, May 19, 9:39pm
Congratulations, deals4all ! I think it is the very first time poffertjes have been mentioned in Recipes. I can't help with your query but I suggest a Google search will probably tell you what you want to know. When you find the answer could you please come back and tell us about them !

cookessentials, May 19, 9:40pm
Yes, it is fine to go directly on the stove top. Dont put a cold pan onto a high heat though, let it heat up gently.

dealz4all, May 19, 11:20pm
Thanks so much.just need a really good tried and true recipe now :)

allviv, May 19, 11:47pm
Poffertjes
250 self raising flour
300mil milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 x egg
salt just a pinch
sift the flour ,add salt & sugar,next addhalf the milk with the beaten egg
beat this in then add rest of milk/egg
This should be like a batter
Heat greased poffertjes pan and pour in batter
brown 1 side then turn to brown other side
Dust tops with icing sugar
Decorate with your own choice of toppings
Like to point out I use kebab sticks to flip poffertjes over

allviv, May 19, 11:47pm
Poffertjes
250 self raising flour
300mil milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 x egg
salt just a pinch
sift the flour ,add salt & sugar,next addhalf the milk with the beaten egg
beat this in then stir inrest of milk/egg
This should be like a batter (i transfer batter to a plastic squeeze bottle)
Heat greased poffertjes pan and pour in batter
brown 1 side then turn to brown other side
Dust tops with icing sugar
Decorate with your own choice of toppings

Like to point out I use kebab sticks to flip poffertjes over

evorotorua, May 20, 12:00am
I have had one for about 25 years now. I use it directed on the stove. The best tip I learned was to use kebab sticks (as above). I also use the centre 'hole' to heat the oil in before I paint it into all the other holes if you know what I mean. I use a thick kids type paint brush (not nylon) and its pretty quick. Oh I love poffertjes. Be prepared to make loads. I use a plastic squirty bottle with a big hole to pour the mix from. Plenty of butter and icing sugar hmm. I don't really have a recipe but one along the lines of pikelets/pancakes should be great (again, as above) You can buy mixes which are also fine but just as easy to make fresh. I find it is better to leave the batter to rest a bit.

evorotorua, May 20, 12:02am
Also, you don't wash the pan after. Maybe some water, not detergent, when it has cooled and then I wrap mine in newspaper to store. I don't really know why I do that but it stops the pan leaving black marks on other things probably. My paper is getting pretty old now. I must go find it and see what was in the news at the time!

daleaway, May 20, 12:32am

cookessentials, May 20, 8:43am
They serve these at the Noosa Farmers Market on a Sunday morning. There are proper little bamboo turners you can get for them, although, I dont think they are available here. Also look up Aebelskiver.they are the same thing.

arcane1315, May 20, 5:30pm
oooh these lookyummy!There is an electric one on here for sale - can someone that has one of the traditional ones look at it for me and tell me how big they think the holes are!And would it be as good!IF so. then anyone coming to Rarotonga want to put it in their luggage!(I know - free lodgings if you bring me a poffertjes pan LOL)

evorotorua, May 20, 6:11pm
From memory, the holes in the electric one are the right size BUT although the poffertjes you get from it will be fine, if you really like them, invest in a cast iron one. They are expensive though and very heavy (cast iron) so hard to transport in a bag if you are trying to watch the bag-weight on a plane.

evorotorua, May 20, 6:14pm
Thinking about it, how about just trying the recipe above and making little pikelet sized ones to see if you like them enough to go the next step. You could make about 15 quickly, put them in bowl, top with a bit of butter and a sprinkle of icing sugar. The thing about the proper pan is that a whole bunch of them are hot at the same time. It may be good enough. The idea is the same except the shape. I guess they wouldn't puff up quite the same but it is a starting point. Have fun and enjoy. In Sydney down at The Rocks I had some with cream, strawberries and banana. That was good too.

dbab, May 20, 11:13pm
We like ours with whipped cream and maple syrup. Mmmmmmmm!

daleaway, May 20, 11:29pm
I've also eaten them in Tasmania at fairs and A&P shows because an entrepreneurial group over there have invested in building a Dutch-canal-house decorated type of stall, from which they serve wearing traditional Dutch costumes.
There were very very popular and there were always queues.

Would be great for a fundraiser here, or even as a small business like a coffee cart - don't know why local Dutch folk have not got onto it. Could include oliebollen!

wheelz, May 20, 11:33pm
thanks to this thread.I have just bought an electric one ! Can't wait to make some!