Cheese rolls boo boo

Page 2 / 2
suzanna, Mar 17, 5:54am

pigletnz25, Mar 17, 8:42pm
kay141 wrote:
That is not an original recipe. Margarine was never used in the recipe or on the bread. The bread was never buttered before making but spread liberally over the hot rolls. The cheese rolls have been around much longer than margarine. I was eating them in Dunedin in the 50s along with corn rolls and mince rolls.

Me too, well in the late 60's and mince are yummo, and a coffee shop there I think in Harvest court used to make oyster ones. You need heaps of real butter over them when cooked so it drips down your hand, lol

kay141, Mar 17, 9:08pm
I remember oyster ones as well. Doubt you can still get them with the price of Bluff oysters being what theya re. The Little Hutt was the best at cheeses rolls. My eldest and I were down there a few years ago, reintroduced her to cheese rolls. Not good for the waist but so delicious.

pigletnz25, Mar 17, 10:05pm
oh yes I remember the little hut ones, yumm and the hot chocolate to go with them. they made the best hot chocolate ever. Memories memories.

tarawera99, Mar 18, 12:22am
Is it traditional to butter them (once their cooked)When we have shared morning teas at work, I notice my work mates buttering them.I didn't for awhile, then when I did the butter did make a big difference.

kay141, Mar 18, 12:29am
Yes, with lots of butter. The cheese and the butter should drip on your hands and down your chin. It is definitely not a ladylike food.
@Piglet, the Little Hutt is still there. That's where I took my eldest to get some proper cheese rolls.