Cheese rolls boo boo

Page 1 / 2
toenails, Mar 12, 4:36am
I was craving a cheese roll today, so I made the trip to the supermarket to get what I needed, white bread, onion soup etc etc, but I came home with reduced cream instead of evap. milk. Has anyone else done this! Does the cream work as well or better than the milk!

georgie36, Mar 12, 4:38am
Fine with reduced cream thats what I use

timturtle, Mar 12, 5:09am
We just use plain milk, never used reduced cream or evap milk.

gardie, Mar 12, 6:44am
I only ever use water.No need for expensive ingredients.

asue, Mar 12, 9:56am
I just grate cheese and add hot water to make a paste

winnie15, Mar 13, 2:24am
reduced cream here

dn_filly, Mar 13, 5:53am
my g'ma used to make a white sauce, and add (lots of) grated cheese to it.so easy to spread, and yummy

rrrg, Mar 13, 8:41am
Recipe please - like the ones you get in the South Island

dollmakernz, Mar 14, 5:20am
No milk or cream in these and they are soooo good
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread wrong side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside,place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.

rj5, Mar 14, 5:44am
ive tried them all, reduced cream is just lovely too ; )

moore., Mar 15, 2:52am
When youve made a batch of cheese rolls, to freeze, do you freeze them uncooked! or cooked

rainrain1, Mar 15, 4:48am
uncooked

greerg, Mar 15, 6:27am
Frozen uncooked cheese rlls are very handy - just take ut and ck in the sandwich maker.Have made many dozens for student flats before exams and they always seemto be appreciated.

jns, Mar 15, 8:41am
That recipe was in one of the weekend papers, was either Saturdays Press or Sunday Star times. I remember it mentioned it was the ones made in the South Island.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 8:48am
Sunday Star Times if I remember correctly.Richard Till.

pigletnz25, Mar 16, 3:18am
Even shops down In Invercargill make the different receipes.I was staying down there recently and DIL and I went out to coffee quite often lol, and to different places, I had cheese rolls with coffee most times, and asked what receipe they used, don't think I had the same on twice.

bridget107, Mar 16, 3:32am

elliehen, Mar 16, 4:05am
I've made that recipe, bridget, and find it is too salty.the combination of the Maggi soup powder and the cheese, I suppose.

gasman64, Mar 16, 1:05pm
You ladies are awesome and making me hungry. NZ women are the best cooks in the world.

iman007, Mar 16, 10:43pm
im pretty dam good though! for a fella!

rainrain1, Mar 16, 11:10pm
with fine chopped onion

idgit1969, Mar 17, 12:47am
The recipe I use is grated cheese, finely chopped onion, a bit of mustard powder and hot water. Mix to a paste. Absolutely yummy!

suzanna, Mar 17, 1:10am
No- not the best ever- these are dip rolls and disgusting. Richard Till should know better!

kay141, Mar 17, 2:04am
That is not an original recipe. Margarine was never used in the recipe or on the bread. The bread was never buttered before making but spread liberally over the hot rolls. The cheese rolls have been around much longer than margarine. I was eating them in Dunedin in the 50s along with corn rolls and mince rolls.

tarawera99, Mar 17, 5:12am
Isn't there a cheese roll competition in SI!Would love to be one of the judges.Cheese rolls mmmmm