Is it okay NOT to brown onion & meat crockpotting?

zuggle, Mar 19, 5:47am
I know the benefits of this, and do brown them myself so no need to preach to the converted, but I have a friend living in a little country shed at the moment and she has just bought herself a crockpot. I'm sending her recipes but don't think she has a frypan to do this first step. Is it all right for her to just put everything in!

sinclairsouth, Mar 19, 6:17am
I've been using my crockpot for years and have never browned anything yet prior to cooking.Steak, chops etc I roll in flour and just put straight in - no problems!

grandma, Mar 19, 6:18am
I've never browned anything before putting into the crockpot, so I'm sure your friend will have no trouble with her cooking.

imn, Mar 19, 6:46am
crikey I never brown first. Have this feeling i might overcook. I do what #3 says. shake the meat in flour and put in. stops it sticking together.

kiwiscrapper1, Mar 19, 7:55am
.+1

n8caz, Mar 19, 9:26am
Hay thanks i didnt no this

olishea, Mar 20, 12:22am
I just throw everything in! always works out fine!

joybells2, Mar 20, 2:57am
You can do but I always do a quick brown first as you get more flavour out of your meat.

lindylambchops1, Mar 20, 3:53am
Throw it all then cross your fingers, toes, eyes, legs.& just hope for the best.That is what I do & it usually turns out great!

Happy Crockpotting to your friend!

zuggle, Mar 20, 4:29am
Thank you so much everybody. You are all wonderful!

purplegoanna, Mar 20, 8:35am
yup i neva brown either,i do understand the benefits but most times dont have time lol