Onion substitutes

fauna1, Sep 28, 5:42am
Does anyone know what I could use as onoin upsets me and rest of family miss out on the flavour?

uli, Sep 28, 5:44am
If onion upsets you then most likely spring onion or garlic or leek would do the same?

mrsdoobercoons, Sep 28, 5:44am
Leeks?

davidt4, Sep 28, 5:53am
Asafoetidia ("hing") is used in vegetarian Indian cookery to give an onion flavour.

elliehen, Sep 28, 6:09am
ASAFOETIDA, alternative spelling asafetida - also known as devil's dung, stinking gum, asant, food of the gods, Hing, Ingua, Ingu, "Perungkayang", Hilteet, and giant fennel - is a species of Ferula native to Persia (Iran).

Asafoetida has a pungent, unpleasant smell when raw, but in cooked dishes it delivers a smooth flavor, reminiscent of leeks.

greerg, Sep 28, 7:10am
After lots of looking I found that Bin Inn stocks Hing if you are interested in trying.

fauna1, Sep 28, 9:04am
Thanks very much, will try it next time I get to a binn inn , will let you know how I get on, Ta again

lythande1, Sep 28, 7:06pm
Oh no!! No onions!!

malcovy, Sep 29, 1:53am
I too have a problem with onions, ie heartburn, so I use a little amount of shallots and they do not affect me and they are so easy to grow, just fiddly to peel.

fruitluva2, Apr 24, 11:07am
I use onion stock powder usually most times nil, and try to make the meal tasty enough if I can't be bothered making two lots of meals.