Cheese, bacon & onion muffins of puffs

jessie981, Jan 19, 6:07am
Had a look in l/h message board, but don't want a recipe that has oil, youghat etc. Just a basic recipe please.

vintagekitty, Jan 19, 6:13am
these are really easy and you can add extra's, I usually double the recipe

1 cup flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups grated cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 200 C
Mix all ingredients and place spoonfuls in greased patty tins or on a tray and bake for 10-12 minutes

245sam, Jan 19, 6:17am
jessie981, is this recipe, from Trademe Cooks, any help?

"Savoury Muffins
1 c flour, 1 c w/meal flour, 1 Tbspn bk, grated courgette, grated carrot, corn kernels, 1 pkt bacon & onion soup mix, 1/2 c grated cheese, diced ham, 75 g butter melted, 1 c milk, 1 egg. sift flours & bk into a mixing bowl and put in vegies, ham & cheese along with soup mix. in a different bowl mix melted butter, egg & milk - put into dry ingredients and mix til damp. divide mixture into muffin trays sprinkle with cheese and bake in a 190 degree oven for 20 mins or until golden brown. mmm yum. add or take anything u want from this recipe, that's the good thing about it. Posted by tweek"

or this one.....

"Cheese & onion muffins
1/2 cup chopped onion,1 tblsp melted butter,1 egg,lightly beaten,1/2 cup milk,1 1/2 cups self-raising flour,pinch of salt,1 level tblsp butter,1 cup grated tasty cheese,1 tblsp poppy seeds,1 tblsp melted butter for drizzling.Cook onions in one tablespoon of melted butter until lightly brown.Mix beaten egg and milk together.Sift flour and salt.Rub in one tablespoon of butter.Mix dry ingredients with egg and milk to make a light scone batter.Add onions and half the cheese.Place small rounds in greased muffin pans and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and poppy seeds.Drizzle melted butter over top of muffins.Bake at 220C for 15 mins. Posted by mn8385":-))

jessie981, Jan 19, 6:19am
Second one sounds good. No frills etc. Do you know how many the recipe makes?

jessie981, Jan 19, 6:20am
Do you double the b/powder?

vintagekitty, Jan 19, 6:25am
sorry, should have added that, no I just add 3 heaped teaspoons to the doubled mixture, as I can taste the b/p. Its a easy recipe and I prefer puffs than muffins

245sam, Jan 19, 6:33am
Sorry, but no I don't know how many the recipe makes.It's not one of my recipes, nor one I have used - it appears to be one from the "Muffin Bible" and I've had a look in that book to see if there's any indication re the number of muffins you could expect and there doesn't seem to be any indication for any of the recipes in the whole book.:-))

245sam, Feb 11, 5:18pm
jessie981, I too make Cheese Puffs and have been very successfully using the following recipe for almost 40 years.

CHEESE PUFFS
2 cups grated cheese, preferably tasty, but otherwise use edam
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch each ofcayenne pepperandsalt
2 eggs
about ¼ cup milk

Place the cheese into a bowl and, on top of it sift in the flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper.With a fork mix the dry ingredients through the cheese.
Lightly beat the eggs and salt, then add them and the milk to the cheese mixture.Mix together to form a stiff dough like mixture.Using a teaspoon (for cocktail-size puffs) or a soup spoon (recipe makes 9-12 of this size), and allowing room for spreading place the mixture on a greased oven tray.Bake at200°Cforabout 10 minutes.
IMO these are at their very best when served warm but they are very nice when cold too, and providing it is done very carefully, they can be gently reheated in the microwave.:-))