Bacon and Egg Pie

Page 1 / 2
charlie8005, Mar 15, 2:30am
I have never made one before and want to give it a try whats a good recipe to use!

joybells2, Mar 15, 2:40am
Do a search on the left hand side box and lots will come up.Cheers.

elliehen, Mar 15, 2:58am
Several here from regular poster, fisher.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/baconegg.htm

One thing people often ask about is how to prevent 'soggy bottom'.Best hints are:

+ Heat the oven tray before you put the pie in so that cooking the bottom layer of pastry gets a head start

+ sprinkle the inside of the bottom pastry layer with cheese, which acts as a sealant

+ lightly sprinkle the bottom of the pie pan with coarse grained polenta (cornmeal) or semolina and put the pastry on top

bigsneak, Mar 15, 3:03am
I bake mine in a Le Cruset baking dish it always cooks so evenly and the bottom is never soggy
I fry off onions, bacon and terragon with olive oil
sprinkle over bottom of pastry covered dish
evenly spread cherry tomatoes and feta cheese over the bacon and onions
beat the eggs and tip over and bake I dont put a lid on mine

mwood, Mar 16, 4:58am
thank you for sharing Fisher - that's avery generous site you have made

ace441, Mar 16, 6:44am
My great grandmother always told me the only things that go into a bacon and egg pie are bacon and eggs - no milk, no cheese, no onions etc. I just line a deep dish with pastry put a layer of bacon and then break 3 or 4 eggs over the top (breaking the yolk of 1 or 2) then repeat until there is 4 layers of egg and finishing with a fifth layer of bacon. Salt and pepper on top then cover with pastry - does take a long time to cook but you only need a small slice as is very filling.

wasgonna, Mar 16, 8:59am
I fully agree with bacon and eggs only but occasionally I weaken and put some sliced tomato on the top of mixture then the pastry on top.

el.diablo, Mar 18, 11:06pm
Whenever imake pies i almost always blind bake the crust first (if you have the time). This usually avoids the crust going soggy and makes it nice and crunchy depending on how long you bake it for. As a word of warning though, i've found that store- bought pastry is kind of "weak" and prefer to make my own. Pre-rolled pastry tends to "sag" down the sides if you blind bake in a tin/case where the sides are too steep. To blind bake, just line your tin with pastry as if you were going to cook in it, then cover with baking paper and spread a layer of rice, dry beans (eg runner beans) or ceramic beans and bake for about 10-15 mins, then remove the paper and "filler" and return to the oven for 10-20 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want the pastry and how much sugar there is in it (sweet pastries tend to burn easier). The rice/bean/ceramic fillers can then be re-used as often as you want, I just wouldn't eat the rice afterwards unless you know a recipe that uses fried/baked dry rice (maybe rosotto, not sure!).

parsondian, Mar 19, 1:38am
She can't be a south islander then!I've thought the regional difference between the north and south island bacon & egg pies are peas - usually found in south island pies!

illusion_, Mar 19, 1:55am
peas are a must

and this from a nth islander ;)

ruby19, Mar 19, 1:57am
In our pie maker we just add cooked bacon, with lightly beaten eggs, s & p, always a hit with the kids. Must remembe the peas though.

donna_jo29, Mar 19, 2:56am
flaky pastry, 6 eggs not mashed whole, bacon, onions finely diced, and half a cup of frozen veges sprinkled, then a pastry lid. 180 till brown on top maybe 45mins.

lythande1, Mar 19, 3:00am
Bacon and egg and nothing else is too boring.
I add tomato, onion, peas, (yes peas, sounds weird but hey.), cheese - but on top not on the bottom, sometimes mushroom as well as plenty of bacon.
And I beat the eggs first, hate the whole egg thing some people do.

kaddiew, Mar 19, 3:43am
Bacon and egg.that's it for me.Cheese occasionally. Can't stand watery tomato, frozen mixed veg esp the carrot.

beastie3, Mar 19, 8:40am
No,no,no NO NO!

skipper42, Mar 20, 2:32am
If it has ANYTHING AT ALL else in it, other than bacon, and eggs, it's quiche! and real Men don't eat quiche

jessie981, Mar 20, 5:13am
NO peas or corn! Agree with skipper, except I add onion.

jellybeanbee04, Mar 20, 11:05pm
I make bacon and egg pie as its one of the things I can make fast and easliy and know I can't muck up lol.

I just buy the pastry, grease the dish, roll out pastry, lay in dish, cut up bacon and spread it round on the pastry, mix up a few eggs with about 1tablespoon of milk and pour over the pastry and bacon, put a lid on, brush a bit of egg mix on the top so it browns and put it in the oven till it looks cooked. Can't get much simplier and it always tastes good.

joey2221, Mar 20, 11:08pm
i made one last night made my own pastry added tomatoes and it was a soggy messyuk through it out next time i will buy pastry and wont put tomatoes in it what a waste

skipper42, Mar 21, 1:18am
And please don't scramble the eggs. We like whole eggs thank you. Scrambled eggs go into quiche.see comment above :-)

skipper42, Mar 21, 1:33am
That is called a quiche.nothing at all to do with bacon and egg pie!

charlie8005, Mar 23, 3:04am
i madeone well actually 4 now haha and they have all turned out yummy thanks for all the comments and even one of my chef friends thinks i done good lol am thinking i was a chef in my past time i love cooking and trying new things!

elliehen, Mar 15, 2:58am
Several here from regular poster, fisher.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/baconegg.htm

One thing people often ask about is how to prevent 'soggy bottom'.Best hints are:

+ Heat the oven tray before you put the pie in so that cooking the bottom layer of pastry gets a head start

+ sprinkle the inside of the bottom pastry layer with cheese, which acts as a sealant

+ lightly sprinkle the bottom of the pie pan with coarse grained polenta (cornmeal) or semolina and put the pastry on top

bev00, Mar 23, 10:28am
great tips for a perfect pie every time

motorbo, Mar 23, 11:15am
i grew up with bacon and egg pie.whisk the eggs par cook the chopped bacon, and some cooked onions.you get a far more moist pie that eggs cracked whole into the pastry