uli, Mar 14, 10:34pm
Fig and Orange Marmalata

11/2 kgs fresh figs
3 large oranges
2 med red onions
4 cloves garlic
3 large red chillis
2 tblsp chopped fresh ginger
3 cups Balsalmic vinegar (or malt vinegar)
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks for later

Wash and coarse cut the figs and oranges, taking the time to destem figs and cut any bruised parts out of the fruit. Peel garlic, onions and ginger, de seed the chillis and coarse cut. Place all ingreds into a large, heavy-based pot and bring to a rolling simmer before turning heat down and slowly simmering until thickened and reduced. This is the time to process you marmalata. Add cinnamon sticks and simmer for about five minutes to allow flavours to infuse. Remove sticks, pour into sterilized jars and seal. Makes about 6 average jars.
Copied from a Sunday magazine.
posted by geldof (86 )3:32 pm, Sun 13 May

uli, Mar 14, 10:39pm
This is must try if you like pickles - I am just about to start replenishing my stocks:

Pickled Figs

2 kilos figs (with stem intact),

boil together:
2 cups sugar,
1 1/2 cups vinegar,
3 sticks of cinnamon or a spoonful of ground cinnamon,
15 cloves or some ground cloves,
allspice (optional).

Cook for approx 15 minutes until you have reduced the liquid to approx. 1 and a 1/2 cups.

Then add figs.

Let simmer for 10 minutes, shake the pot, but do not stir as it would break up the fruit.

Scoop the fruit into jars and top with the syrup.
Screw lids down immediately.

uli, Mar 14, 10:43pm
Roasted figs:

Sweet version:
http://www.gourmantineblog.com/!p=2214

I do a side dish where I stuff them with blue vein cheese and wrap in streaky bacon, drizzle with balsamic mixed with a bit of chilli and ginger and bake.

toffeey, Mar 15, 1:43am
My fig tree has only produced a few this year. So lovely to scoff ripe and warm straight off the tree.

uli, Mar 15, 3:56am
Yes isn't it!

I just have had 5 trays delivered to the kitchen this afternoon - and while some friends that dropped in ate a lot - there is still about 2kgs left for today . tomorrow there will be more of course :)

So give me more recipes please :)

davidt4, Mar 15, 4:27am
I never have enough figs to branch out into adventurous combinations, but at the moment I'm putting them into Greek Salads in place of cucumber.

patsy3, Mar 15, 7:52am
Sweet little pastry tarts, with a sour cheese (blue), or cream cheese, with the squished/cut/scored fig on top, with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake. Yum.

badams1, Mar 15, 8:46am
How rude was i , never got back to thank those whom post recipes. Its fig time again.beautiful figs.Keep them coming. and thanks in advance.

uli, Mar 19, 5:43am
bump for willyow

uli, Mar 21, 5:54am
Figs stuffed with blue vein cheese and wrapped in streaky bacon then baked is the most loved recipe currently :)
I pour a little bit of red wine or balsamic vinegar over before baking.

I might make some extra lots and freeze!

dolphin9, Mar 21, 8:32am
Figs are something I've never tried. Can you eat them raw! Which bits can you/can't you eat!

uli, Mar 22, 4:45am
Yes you can eat them raw - the only bit I do not eat is the top of the stem :)

toffeey, Mar 23, 7:43pm
OMG - yum. I hope to have enough next year to try this! My tree is only a youngster. Last year the fruit had not much flavour. This year the fruit were DEVINE but only produced a few. I have planted fig trees at every house I have ever owned, so hopefully more people out there are getting to experience these.

katalin2, Mar 23, 8:16pm
I wonder if any of these recipes would work for half ripe or greenish figs which is all we get off our tree in Christchurch unless it is a long warm autumn. I make a date and fig chutney which is superb and bottle some in port and some in syrup but would love to try some of these recipes, especially the stuffed figs. Have never tried them roasted either.

bo0tsey, Mar 23, 8:27pm
Jealous! I love figs.mmm fig chutney

badams1, Mar 31, 4:29am
Does anyone have a recipe for fig paste something savoury to have with meat.also any recipes,using figsthat are posters tried and true recipes.cheers.

jessie981, Mar 31, 5:02am
Aunt Daisy Fig Chutney
Pound & half fresh figs
3ozs raisins
2ozs perserved ginger
3ozs dates
6ozs br sugar
1/2lb onions
1/2tsp salt
1/4tsp cayenne
1pt vinegar
Cut figs into rings & dates & ginger into cubes.
Boil vinegar & sugar & pour over other ingredients. Leave overnight
Next day, boil till dark & thick, approx 5 hrs.

P.s haven't tried, but should be ok from Aunt Daisy. She also has one for Pickled Figs if you want it.

uli, Mar 31, 6:31am
I pickle my figs with cider vinegar and lots of spices. Lovely.