What dessert can I make with a chocolate

yddac, May 8, 4:01am
cake that the family aren't eating.It was a packet cake that my son n law made with my grandson but it was tasteless.I don't want to chuck it out.

245sam, May 8, 4:14am
yddac, how about a trifle!I suggest that a good chocolatey custard would overcome the problem of the cake being "tasteless".Alternatively if a hot/warm dessert is more appealing with this cooler weather, how about a bread and butter type pudding or a Queen pudding!and add some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate if you'd like the finished pudding to have a more chocolatey flavour, otherwise you might like to add some spices or fruit.

Hope that helps.:-))

vampiriousmist, May 8, 4:27am
You could make cake pops- the frosting shouldovercome the tasteless cake.which brand was it! Just so I dont buy it in the future :P

elliehen, May 8, 4:34am

nauru, May 8, 4:42am
Serve it warm with some fresh, canned or stewed fruit and custard.

cookessentials, May 8, 4:48am
Yes, my Black Forest trifle would be a good start. ( It usually uses a chocolate cream filled Swiss roll)

cookessentials, May 8, 4:53am
Yes, my Black Forest trifle would be a good start. ( It usually uses a chocolate cream filled Swiss roll)

Yes, I do one usually using a chocolate mousse ( you can use the Tararua one if you wish) I buy a chocolate sponge roll ( cream filled) and slice into rounds. Best to use a deep plain glass dish as it looks really lovely showing through ( I often use a large flared and footed hurricane lamp)
arrange the slices across the base and up the sides of the bowl. Sprinkle with kirsch or a little brandy or similar. You can then add a jar of the cherries.or better still, I often use the frozen boysenberries.they thaw within a few hours. When you add the fruit, make sure you poke some into the gaps between the sponge up the sides. Make up chocolate mousse and spread over fruit and sponge,making sure it is poked down the sides also. Chill to set and then add gently whipped cream over the top and top with grated chocolate. it is actually really nice the next day, so you could make it the day beofe you need it. Edited to say that i copy and pasted this from another thread from way back.

yddac, May 10, 11:37am
Thanks for the suggestions.

yddac, May 10, 11:38am
vampiriousmist Don't know what brand it was as container went out with the rubbish.

cookessentials, May 10, 7:20pm
Have bumped the chocolate thread for you

cookessentials, May 10, 10:23pm
From the Chocolate thread

Chocolate Bread & Butter Pudding

1½ cups (375ml) milk
2 cups (500ml) cream
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon
vanilla bean paste
4 eggs
2 small (200g) brioche, sliced thickly
100g dark eating chocolate,
chopped coarsely
1/3 cup (40g) coarsely chopped
toasted pecans

METHOD

Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced).

Combine milk, cream and sugar in a small saucepan. Split vanilla bean in half lengthways; scrape seeds into pan, then place pod in pan, or if using, add vanilla bean paste. Stir over heat until hot; strain into a large heatproof jug (not necessary to strain if using the paste). Discard pod.

Whisk eggs in large bowl; whisking constantly, pour hot milk mixture into eggs.

Grease a shallow 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish; layer brioche, chocolate and nuts, overlapping brioche slightly, in the dish. Pour hot milk mixture over brioche.

Place the dish in a large baking dish; add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ovenproof dish. Bake, uncovered, in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes or until pudding sets. Remove the pudding from the baking dish; stand for 5 minutes before serving

cookessentials (1199 )3:48 pm, Wed 26 May #6