Looking for an easy but impressive meal

beausun, May 10, 10:27pm
I have a visitor coming tonight. She thinks I am a good cook <VBG> I need something to cook for dinner which is quick but impressive. I can cook well if I have to,but don't have many good ideas lately. Please help.

cookessentials, May 10, 11:20pm
Do you like wood roasted salmon!

cookessentials, May 10, 11:21pm
I have just copied from another thread for you below.

This is our recipe just to share. Orzo pasta looks a bit like rice for those of you whoo have not tried it. I buy the "Sproutman" baby spinach leaves at Moore wilson, they are quite small.around tsp to dessert spoon size.
We have this often as it s quick and easy to prepare when I am late home. I usually dont bother with the peas and i dont always add the snipped dill. I use the wood smoked salmon with the pepper/chilli on the top wich is a nice addition. You can buy the "sproutman" baby spinach leaves in a bag from most supermarkets. I also add more lemon zest for our taste.

1 cup orzo, cooked
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas, cooked
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
Grated rind 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups baby spinach leaves
200g hot-smoked salmon, broken into chunks

Place the orzo in a bowl and add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fold through the peas, dill, lemon rind and parsley. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss everything together. Add the spinach and salmon and fold them through. Serve in bowls.

bridget107, May 10, 11:23pm

beausun, May 11, 12:43am
I will save both those recipes- they both look good. I gave her salmon last time which was really nice and worked well. The beef and lentil lasagne looks good for a family meal to make regularly, I will try it.I think I will do Moroccan lamb as in the other thread.

nfh1, May 11, 5:19am
VBG - what is this please!

nunesy, May 11, 5:42am
Might be a bit late but I needed the same thing.Wanted easy entree for a special meal for a friend.Googled stuff mushrooms, and made up my own recipe based on several I found.Basically cream cheese, finely chopped spring onion, a generous sprinkle of taco seasoning or similar, some grated cheese of your choice, and the finely chopped stems of the mushrooms sauteed in a bit of garlic.Mix all together, chuck into the mushroom caps, place on an oiled baking paper covered tray, and grill for about 20min.Was quick, and the stuffing tasted amazing!You can make the stuffing in advance, too.Can also add extra cheese before grilling.Hope you have a great dinner whatever you do.

nunesy, May 11, 5:43am
Oh yeah, and fruit cobbler was what I decided for dessert as it took 5minutes to put together and makes enough for 4-5 people, with whipped cream.I just googled that too, VERY simple recipe that you can use with whatever tinned fruit you like, or fresh fruit.:-)

esther-anne, May 11, 6:30am
Very Bl**dy Good!

lyl_guy, May 11, 6:32am
I've made this salad a couple of times now. OMG, it is the MOST impressive dish, compared to the little amount of work/ time it takes! Very fresh tasting with that tang of citrus, and filling too.Awesome!

winnie231, May 11, 6:42am
I 2nd lyl_guy on this one & thanks Cooke for the recipe!
It is very easy but so yummy & definitely impressive :)
And the funny thing is (to me at least), I was just describing it to someone last night at our local pub quiz who wanted new salmon recipes!

cookessentials, May 12, 9:10am
I'm glad you both like it. IIt is something I often do for dinner because it is just so quick and easy and I find that by the time I get in from the shop, the last thing I feel like doing is faffing about in the kitchen!

samanya, May 14, 5:18am
I've made this & it's to die for .in fact I came in here searching for this very recipe & it's just what I fancied for dinner.
I have no frozen peas . damn!
It will still be good, not just quite as delicious.
I wonder if sprouting Broccoli stalks, cut finely & stir fried would work .I have a mini glut of it right now.

nfh1, May 14, 5:32am
LOL - could be!

nfh1, May 14, 5:36am
cookes - do you use the orzo hot, or would it not matter!

rainrain1, May 14, 6:23am
i agree, it is so good

beausun, May 14, 8:47am
The Morroccan lamb and buttery couscous was very successful. Lots of compliments, and the house smelt great. Thanks for the ideas