***A greek meal! What to expect???***

standard, Jan 24, 4:36am
We are being taken out for a Greek meal for the first time, any suggestions as to what to expect and what might be nice to try?
Thanks

margyr, Jan 24, 4:46am
Have not been to one, but would be inclined to try everything offered, dont ask before hand what is in each thing as your mind may put you off trying it. Hope you enjoy yourselves.

prendy1, Jan 24, 4:48am
Oh greek food is to die for! It's full of flavour from fresh herbs and spices like cumin, nutmeg and cinnamon, but not spicy. I love spanakopita, which is feta and spinach wrapped in filo pastry. You'll probably get pita bread and some dips, like hummus or garlic. If you eat meat, there will be souvlaki, which are little kebabs of lamb, beef or chicken, or moussaka which is like lasagne but with eggplant instead of pasta. Be sure to order a greek salad; cucumber, black olives, tomato and feta.
BUT most importantly; save room for dessert! Baklava is spiced walnuts wrapped in filo and smothered in a honey/sugar syrup and irresistable! But all greek sweets are beautiful.

uli, Jan 24, 4:53am
Anything at all will be great - if it is actually Greek - and not NZlandised ...

player_smurf, Jan 24, 4:56am
And a big bonus...they smash the plates after the meal, so no dishes to do!

red-fmb, Jan 24, 4:56am
yum!!!! you are so lucky... I wish there was a decent greek resturant near me......

standard, Jan 24, 7:08am
Thanks everyone, am really looking forward to it now !!

beaker59, Jan 24, 8:01am
Eaten a fair bit of Greek food over the years and never actually seeen that.

My favourite Euro food though it is a close call over Italian.

gardie, Jan 24, 8:19am
My most favourite restaurant was Greek - absolutely love their food.Unfortunately we moved away - it was in Townsville Australia.Have a wonderful meal.

peasandlove, Jan 24, 9:29am
our local greek restaurant hardly serves any greek food.. they call it 'mediteranean'. They do the plate smashing though. We found in Greece the food is very different when you get off the tourist trail, our greek friends ordered stuff we wouldnt have even dreamed of, from wild herbs to snails etc.. all of it delicious. Enjoy your meal

cookessentials, Jan 24, 9:36am
You are in for a treat.

lost-in-oz, Jan 24, 10:31am
Was it Osmans?

nfh1, Mar 1, 3:42pm
We had a Greek meal in Palm Cove last November and they smashed plates there - very cheap plates though not the ones we were eating from!It was a good meal though.