Ideas for a kiwi meal

Page 1 / 2
dec1066, Feb 28, 7:54am
My daughter is off to France on a student exchange.One of the things they want her to do is to cook a New Zealand meal for her host family.We are not even sure what a New Zealand meal really is anymore!The only ideas that we have come up with are mussel fritters and roast lamb (the lamb is probably too expensive and a 16 year old is not able to do this).Any ideas welcome.

cookessentials, Feb 28, 7:58am
I would have gone with roast lamb. A 16 year old should have no trouble doing a roast so long as she has a recipe to follow.

http://www.recipes.co.nz/roast-leg-of-lamb-with-rosemary

dec1066, Feb 28, 8:05am
Thanks cookessentials. However lamb (or any kind of meat, that is not of the casserole variety) is quite expensive (as I recall) in France, so I'm a bit hesitant to let her loose with a strange oven and an expensive cut of meat. We have saved the recipe though, in case it's the right thing to do.

Many thanks

papariccardo, Feb 28, 8:16am
As a bloke, I would make a small hangi in the backyard, with chooks, cress & spuds, followed by a pav for les dessert.

Or fire up a BBQ, chuck everything on it, with a decent cold CabSauv to wash it down. She is in France, vino is enjoyed at all ages there with a meal. Even my Italian son has been quaffing since he was able to hold his tommee tippee, now he has quite the palate, and no desire to binge drink like his peers.

white_elephant, Feb 28, 8:19am
Make a ham burger with beetroot and lettuce in a bun. The beetroot is the kiwi part.

papariccardo, Feb 28, 8:21am
Y'know - that just might be the one! Maybe you should change your nik to White Lady?! ;)

I had mussel fritters today for lunch, done right I'm sure the gastronomes will enjoy it. Bon appetit.

kiwibubbles, Feb 28, 8:43am
fish and chips? teach her how to batter some fresh fish, and make her own chips, and she can serve that with a pavlova. She could even take along some kiwi tomato sauce.

cookessentials, Feb 28, 8:44am
dec1066, you may find this link interesting reading.

http://www.portaloceania.com/nz-life-food-habits-ing.htm

dec1066, Feb 28, 8:04pm
Thanks everyone. That has given me a great giggle to start the day with!

beebs, Feb 28, 9:29pm
we had a student over here, and her most favourite food was fish and chips and tomato sauce...............hands down.She actually came back to nz later with friends, and although they were seeing the country, the driving force for their visit was fish and chips, they ate it right through nz!

mopsy3, Feb 28, 9:52pm
Or she could always master a mince pie or shepherds pie.Surely mince wont be too expensive.

beaker59, Feb 28, 10:08pm
Mussel fitters is a good idea European mussels are quite nice not sure about how cheap though, could entail a lot of shelling though as they are quite small.

Why not a boil up they have cress and pork bones or maybe do it with pork shoulder chops very easy for a young lass to do.

motorbo, Feb 28, 10:20pm
ohh shusshhh i feel like fish and chips now lol

elliehen, Feb 28, 10:55pm
Very funny, in a warped sort of way!Obviously intended more to amuse than inform :)

I applied my test to that website and critiqued the part I would know most about - NZ Arts & Culture.As soon as it said: "The New Zealander Janet Frame won a Nobel prize for her contributions in the field of literature" (I wish...)I gave up and decided not to take seriously anything further on the website.

lythande1, Mar 1, 1:08am
Really? Why not? My son learnt to cook proper meals at 11. At 12 he could cook anything.
Roast lamb is traditional.

asue, Mar 1, 1:11am
pavlova

dec1066, Mar 1, 2:45am
Why not? She probably isn't comfortable with the idea of cooking one because she can't remember the last time I cooked one.I think it was 2006!

elliehen, Mar 1, 2:50am
dec1066, what about a tasty fish chowder?NZ is a seafaring island nation and your daughter will be able to buy good seafood in France.Let her do some practice with a good recipe (ask fisher!) and it will be hard to make a mistake.

dec1066, Mar 1, 2:53am
Thanks elliehen that's a good idea

evorotorua, Mar 1, 3:39am
We made a mince pie when we cooked for our hosts. They loved it. We followed it with peach pie and cream. (As I recall though, ready made pastry was quite expensive but that was 1988.) I also like the idea of the burgers. It is sometimes difficult to cook in someone else's kitchen especially in Europe where the equipment (gas oven?) and ingredients may look different. I like the idea of fish chowder in that respect. Or what about lamb chops? It really depends on how confident she is. All the best to her for her trip.

beebs, Mar 1, 9:29pm
we had a student over here, and her most favourite food was fish and chips and tomato sauce.hands down.She actually came back to nz later with friends, and although they were seeing the country, the driving force for their visit was fish and chips, they ate it right through nz!

elliehen, Mar 1, 10:55pm
Very funny, in a warped sort of way!Obviously intended more to amuse than inform :)

I applied my test to that website and critiqued the part I would know most about - NZ Arts & Culture.As soon as it said: "The New Zealander Janet Frame won a Nobel prize for her contributions in the field of literature" (I wish.)I gave up and decided not to take seriously anything further on the website.

lythande1, Mar 2, 1:08am
Really! Why not! My son learnt to cook proper meals at 11. At 12 he could cook anything.
Roast lamb is traditional.

dec1066, Mar 2, 2:45am
Why not! She probably isn't comfortable with the idea of cooking one because she can't remember the last time I cooked one.I think it was 2006!

elliehen, Mar 2, 2:50am
dec1066, what about a tasty fish chowder!NZ is a seafaring island nation and your daughter will be able to buy good seafood in France.Let her do some practice with a good recipe (ask fisher!) and it will be hard to make a mistake.