Help!! Kiwi in Oz needing recipe

wazza1970, Oct 13, 7:56am
hi people hoping someone out there may have this recipe.It's an Alison Holst one from an older book on budget recipes called one pot mince (has rice, creme of chick soup/chick noodle soup, curry etc in it) All our recipe books disappeared on the journey to Oz from our container!

barterman007, Oct 13, 8:34am
Alison Holst...One Pot Mince
2 Onions - chopped, 2 Tbsp butter, 400gr mince, 1 to 2 tsp curry powder, 3/4 c long grain rice, 1 Tbsp worster sauce, 3 Cups hot water, 2 stalks celery - chopped, 2 carrots - chopped, 30g pkt cream chicken soup, 1/2 cabbage - shredded. In large pot, brown onions in butter. add mince & when brown add curry,rice,worster sauce & water. bring to boil then add veges & simmer until vege & rice tender. mix soup mix with water to a paste then add to pot & bring to boil. Add cabbage. cover & cook for 5 mins longer. ( add extra water if thickens too much or leave lid off if not thick enough)

wazza1970, Oct 15, 3:17am
you are absolutely wonderful barterman - yum yum off to cook that for dinner once I've been down to kiwi shop for ingrediants :) :) :) - Ummm you haven't got the beef curry one as well by any chance??? :) - oh yes and its from the dollars and sense cookbook

245sam, Oct 15, 3:29am
wazza1970, is the beef curry recipe "Curry for Crowds" from version 2 of Alison Holst's Dollars and Sense Cookbook?

calista, Oct 15, 3:35am
Wazza is that the "curry for crowds beef casserole"?It has a packet of leek and potato soup mix in it that is no longer available. If you would still like it I will post it when I have more time.

Ha ! Snap! Sam.If you have one without the L+p soup I would be interested too.

campmum, Oct 15, 3:37am
mrs barterman here..I posted the recipe not realising hubby hadn't logged out..Not a happy man that he has been associated with the recipe board :D heehee

any way curry for a crowd...alison Holst she's a legend!!
serves 15-20
2 - 3 kg chuck steak - chunks
1/4 c curry powder
1/4 c flour
4 onions - chunks
2 large garlic cloves sliced
32g pkt mushroom soup mix
32g pkt leek & potato soup mix
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 c marmalade
1 c fruit chutney
juice of 1 lemon
4 - 5 cups water.
coat diced meat in flour & curry, heat a little oil in a very hot frypan & brown meat, garlic & onions in batches. transfer to a large heavy casserole dish. add rest of ingredients to frypan to pick up all the lovely bits & pour over meat & onions. cover & cook 150*c for 2 - 3 hours stirring after 30 mins. yum

245sam, Oct 15, 3:39am
Alison Holst’s Curry For Crowds
This easy casserole is useful if you are entertaining a number of guests. Spiced with curry and a mixture of other flavourings, it is a good choice because it can be made and refrigerated one or two days before it is needed, and it will improve on standing. This is not an authentic Indian or Asian curry, but it is a curry-flavoured mixture which always seems popular.For 15-20 servings:

2-3 Kg lean chuck or blade beef steak
¼ cup each of curry powderandflour
4 onions
2 large garlic cloves
1 x 32g packet mushroom soup mix
1 x 32g packetleek and potato soup mix
1 tbsp soya sauce
¼ cup marmalade
1 cup fruit chutney
juice of 1 lemon
4-5 cups water

Trim the meat carefully, removing fat, and cut it into small even cubes.Shake in a bag with the curry powder and flour.
Cut the onions into chunks the same size as the meat, and cut the garlic into thin slices.
Heat a little oil in a very hot fry pan and brown a quarter of the coated meat at a time with some of the onion and garlic. Do not hurry this step.
Tip the browned meat and onion into a large heavy casserole dish, preferably one you can use for cooking, storing and serving. If the coating sticks to the pan, add some of the water, scrape the bottom clean with a fish slice, then add this to the meat. When all the meat and onion has been browned, sprinkle the soup mixes over the meat and stir to coat evenly.
In the pan used for cooking the meat, simmer the soya sauce, marmalade, chutney and lemon juice with half the remaining water. When evenly mixed, pour over the meat. Add enough water to bring the level almost to the top of the meat. Cover, and cook at 150°C for 2-3 hours, stirring after 30 minutes, until the meat is tender.
Serve with assorted side dishes.:-))

calista, Oct 15, 3:40am
Wooo triple cross-post!

Well done campmum

campmum, Oct 15, 3:40am
snap haha...we are on to it today :0

wazza1970, Oct 15, 9:19am
ooh I'm so happy tonight!!!Kind've makes up for Crown losing my box of recipe books!!!Curry for crowd coming up this weekend - "back down to Kiwi shop" :) :)

wazza1970, May 31, 7:40pm
Mmmm and yes L&P soup was scarce when we left NZ but will search for a substitute!!