So disapointed brought a lamb leg roast for mother

Page 1 / 2
m41, May 15, 2:04am
day roast and it was chewy and drisgusting not impressed as i paid heaps anyone else have this with there lamb lately !

pericles, May 15, 2:08am
looked at them at the w/end, $54 for a leg, no way

sarahb5, May 15, 2:24am
I looked at the price of lamb in New World when I did most of my grocery shopping - no way was I paying $45 for one but I really wanted lamb so I went to Pak n Save.$29.56 for a small leg and it was delicious - slow roasted with garlic and rosemary - delicious and plenty left over for last night's dinner as well as some for the freezer for a future shepherd's pie.

carriebradshaw, May 15, 2:39am
I have bought a couple recently from Farro Fresh and they have been lovely and tender.

lythande1, May 15, 2:44am
All depends on how you cooked it.

malcovy, May 15, 3:01am
I have found this with Australian beef so no longer buy it but then that is beef and not lamb.One recipe I used to use with a leg of lamb which was normally juicy and tender was tough and my cooking method hadn't changed, very disappointed I was.

prawn_whiskas, May 15, 3:20am
^ This

I could give my MIL a leg of lamb and take one my self, we'd get completely different results as she likes to stew and cook hers until its shoe leather. where as I like mine done slow and pink.

lodgelocum, May 15, 4:18am
Same, they are very good value the Pak n Save ones, and as you say, very delicious.

creeky1, May 15, 4:39am
thankgoodness we raise our own, guarantee never to get a bad one again.

scuba, May 15, 5:07am
have always preferred hogget over lamb,slow roasted for the day

kassie48, May 15, 5:31am
Mad Butcher special this week $10.99 kilo. Average leg is around $24. Last one I bought was yum.
Agree scuba, hogget is nicer

makespacenow, May 15, 6:11am
I bought one few weeks ago dozen from countdown. Heavily pregnant so had baby brain didn't look at it.gotit home frosted started to cook smelled off.tasted off.gave it to dog as when we looked at the vacuum packaging it was clear it was past best before date and countdown simply threw it into freezer section.
Was not impressed but our dog loved us.but not happy that we paid $40.

lulu-belle1, May 15, 6:38am
Yes! Delicious, I cooked a shoulder for my own mother's day dinner. Long and slow, so tender and tasty. With gravy :)

cookessentials, May 15, 7:08am
Why didn't you take it back!

kuaka, May 15, 7:13am
Last week my local Countdown had lamb legs "on special" at $22.99 kg.My sister in the UK regularly gets NZ lamb leg roasts (vacuum packed) at Tescos for 3.99 and 4.99kg (that's pounds - I don't seem to have a pound sterling sign) but I have to wonder why she can get it so cheap.

The last one I bought from Countdown was tasteless and stringy and when I emailed and complained it was ignored.I didn't feel well or I would have complained in person.

vivvie41, May 15, 7:44am
Have to agree OP, depends on how you cooked it as to how the end result was.

norse_westie, May 15, 9:50am
I get mine from P&S and roast it slowly. Its tender and drops off the bone. I think it may be the way you cooked it OP.

jude343, May 16, 8:51am
if you are sure its not your cooking!
Take it back, on the tv when they were showing the farmgates programme for getting your meat cheaper, the person from the meat company said if your meat was tough take it back to where you purchased it.
.T wonder if it comes under consumer guarantee!

beaker59, May 17, 7:10am
whole lamb leg roasts at PnS Albany on special for 10dollars Kg

I didn't get one as still have a couple from last time they were on special.

kuaka, May 17, 9:01am
On special today at Countdown $16.99 kg.

m41, May 17, 9:07am
well i cook fine i`m a chef but this was tough with lots of sinu so won`t be going back for more.
But have found a really good place next to spotlight on lincoln rd in Auckland is cheapper and better quailty meat and fruit and veg .

beaker59, May 17, 10:12am
Can't imagine any lamb roast being that sinewy unless its mutton. Even then longer cooking turns sinew into a lovely jelly :)

kob, May 17, 8:10pm
gone are the days that you would put the roast on at 12 and be eating at 6 to a succulent roast, everything is fast fast fast now days maybe thats why we are finding our meat is not to our likings becasue we are rushing its cooking time.If your in a hurry DONT ROAST its simple

iman007, May 18, 12:04am
you must have got a dud leg or, you are a nil cook!

beaker59, May 18, 12:08am
Apparently a chef! Must have been a dud leg then. Just sounds very odd to get tough roast lamb!Main reason I love roast leg is the knuckle with all that lovely sinew and fibre turned to either rich jelly or crunchy bubbles mmmmmmmm