Smoking mussels

craigie, May 4, 9:14am
have a smoker for a hooded bbq how would you do mussels would you cook them first cheers craigie

olwen, May 4, 11:34pm
If they are being hot smoked I would have thought the smoking would cook them

ayglepaygle, May 5, 1:23am
We steam them open, then put the half shells with the mussel meat into the smoker.

fisher, May 5, 1:47am
Large pot. 2 cups of water. bring water to the boil and put 6 mussels into pot, then lid on. as soon as they open. put into cold water in sink , pull apart and place mussel into a bowl. This 'dip" in cold water stops them cooking anymore and you can do the next 6 until you have done them all. clean up mussel (remove beard etc). scrub up some shells and place two mussel into each half shell.
Melt some butter and add some very fine chopped garlic.fine chop some basil and parsley and mix in.spoon this over the mussels with a grind of black pepper. (no salt)add to this some fine fresh red chilli chopped if you want it hot.Into smoker.and devour. some folks put cheese on top but I never bother.

darlingmole, May 5, 3:07am
that recipe is sublime fisher~! (I wouldn't use cheese when smoking but have done so under the grill and it was very delicious)

fast_or_last, May 5, 6:09am
then add sweet chilli sause some diced leaks and hot chili sause
yummo

janny3, May 5, 6:28am
We just open them, discard one shell & leave the mussel in the remaining one.Sprinkle on salt & brown sugar & pop into the smoker for up to 20 minutes.The mussels are cooking in their own juice and don't dry out.http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/smoked-mussels_topic11274.html

craigie, May 5, 9:12am
THANK YOU EVERY ONE
CHEERS CRAIGIE

jsc1, Jun 13, 12:12pm
Is it worth putting ice cubes into the smoker ! Soaking chips in wine ! whats the best way to wet thewood chips!

jafapat, Jun 13, 10:43pm
Squirt some recycled Speights on them. Recycled through your kidneys.