Chop Chop Chicken recipes Please

Page 2 / 2
uli, Apr 11, 4:37am
Ohhh - must have mis-understood your post11 then - thought you love the stuff - sorry to have asked :)

fisher, Apr 11, 4:44am
"I've given up" on what people will eat and why folks would even consider buying it and then want to make a pie from it. . better to buy half a cooked rotisserie (pumped and all) chook and break it up for a pie. .

uli, Apr 11, 6:05am
Well - poster1 hasn't come back so we don't know if she liked it or not - however we have at least one poster here that is happy about it - jimbob37 - so it seems edible. However I don't think I am game enough to try it myself just yet.

Have dealt to a few of my own chickens this morning - luckily they arrive at the kitchen door minus the head and feathers - I am not sure how I would catch them myself nowadays ... they now sit in the fridge for a couple of days then go into the freezer.

But of course the "cleaner and gutter" gets all the goodies for lunch: unlaid eggs (I scored 8 yolks and a complete egg), livers, hearts etc - all fried in butter with onions, a few sliced tomatoes, a big saladand a slice of sourdough bread :)

onakiss, Apr 11, 6:38am
We like it too jimbob37, the light mayo/mustard one on crackers is good. There is also a chop chop tuna & mayo/mustard one they have out now which is good too. 4 of us in our family and all like it on crackers.

jimbob37, Apr 11, 8:36am
Yay, glad I'm not on my own! Sure I thought it was odd too buying chicken in a can, but I don't think it's any worse than any other goods in a can or from the deli etc. It's a nice and easy alternative.

st_allie, Apr 11, 9:07am
I buy the chop chop tins. . very tasty...

they are a good source of protein for lunch with a salad. I also buy the tuna chunks in springwater as my protein choice daily with salad. .

I'm a weightlifter 5 times a week at the gym. . and very conscious of my protein/nutrition requirements.

the tinned chicken is not overly sodium heavy, and while not as clean, protein wise, as tuna or cottage cheese. . It's still a good choice for a sporty diet.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 4:02am
Hm, chicken from Thailand. But canned in NZ so that at first glance it looks like a NZ product.
Can't imagine how they treat chickens over there.
My cats like it sometimes!

liamjosh, Apr 12, 6:07am
I call it chop chop meow here whenever hubby gets it out... . still trying to believe it is real chicken!

samanya, Apr 12, 7:51am
I'd never heard of the stuff . . but reading this thread, it was the 'product of Thailand' that put me off.
But as others have said , each to their own & who are we to judge what others find delicious & acceptable?

allspices, Apr 12, 7:59pm
Maybe affordable, too?

kirinesha, Apr 12, 8:29pm
I wouldn't call it affordable. Going by the price at Woolworths today:

- the 85g can contains only 61gms of chicken so at $2. 19 a can that works out at $35. 90 for a kilo of chicken breast (volumes from the David Foods website - they are the distributors)

- the 160g can contains only 115. 2gms of chicken so at $3. 25 a can that works out at $28. 21 for a kilo of chicken breast.

Chicken breast, skinless, even at Woolies normal (and I think premium price) of $22. 99 a kg is better value.

ardente, Apr 12, 8:55pm
I see Watties now do chicken in a can... . . haven't tried it... not really keen!

missmalice, Apr 12, 9:45pm
I've tried it and will never go near it again!

I'd rather get a proper chicken and chop it up with mayo :p

uli, Apr 12, 9:53pm
And if you want it cheaper then the Mad Butcher has a special on this week: Chicken breast, skinless and boneless for $10. 50

Or you buy half a rotisserie chicken from the Deli for $6. 00

bedazzledjewels, Jan 23, 9:06pm
Lol! I suppose it might be useful for trampers and campers?