Help with choosing food mixer

tarshlove, May 2, 12:35am
I have a choice between this
http://www.breville.com.au/bem410-colours.html and thishttp://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-nz/Products/Kitchen-Machines/Patissier/Patissier-Food-Mixer/

Advice on which would be better for cakes, muffins, cupcakes, making icing, and pavs.

cookessentials, May 2, 12:39am
nietherin my opinion. I have a KitchenAid which is gear driven, not belt driven and I love it. It mixes more thoroughly ( 67 points in the bowl as opposed to about 11 in it's competitors) It has a direct drive motor is still hand assembled in the USA and is all metal construction, so good and heavy.

tarshlove, May 2, 12:43am
I know and I would love one too but they are just not in my price range I can get these ones for around $300 or less this is my only option atm.

cookessentials, May 2, 2:04am
Yes, I know, they are not cheap, however, you will find that most places will offer a 3 month layby ( or more) If you can do that, I think you would be better off in the long run. Could you afford to wait and save up for a while!

tarshlove, May 2, 2:06am
Not really i have nothing but a plastic hand whisk atm lol
I really need to get something. I've blown so many up as they just cant handle the use.

beccy-bec, May 2, 2:24am
I have the breville one, I find it pretty good

pickles7, May 2, 4:24am
buy a Kenwood chef off trade me, and have it reconditioned. Mine is a work horse, I have now got a major as I felt sorry for the chef at times. It never gave up though just got on with the job. lol.

cookessentials, May 2, 5:04am
so it does end up being false economy if you look at what you have spent on each one. Shop around, some retailers have promotions on them from time to time and will lay-by

tarshlove, May 2, 7:54am
Do you get a cut lol you really have me wanting one so badly. I will have to wait till xmas i think.

cookessentials, May 2, 9:29am
I just think that if you have already been down the track of buying cheaper ones that keep giving up the ghost, you are just throwing good money away. I am very pleased with mine, I must say. Just regularly pop your money away and wait until Christmas to get what you really want.

tarshlove, May 2, 10:43pm
S what do you suggest in the mean time! Beg, borrow or steal some one else's lol i can't not bake its my me time :)

vampiriousmist, May 3, 10:01am
why not get an electric handmixer ! Its what I use atm for all my baking til I can afford a fancy mixer. I'm going with the apple green breville planetary mixer too :P

Edited to say I got mine form the warehouse for 20 bucks on special - akai brand

sam284, May 3, 8:22pm
vampiriousmist, do you like the akai hand mixer! I brought a sunbeam beatermix and its a gutless wonder, I should have taken it back, its only good for mixing an egg, not even batter! I have to replace that now, grr

katalin2, May 4, 8:50am
Consumer has done a comparison: Kenwood KMX51 came out on top ( currently best price is at LV Martin $579); next was Kitchenaid, followed by another Kenwood model and Breville BEM400. All 4 were recommended by Consumer as being acceptable in the above order. I was given a Kenwood Chefette for a wedding present many years ago where you could use the beaters as hand held electric beaters- I found I used it as handheld beaters more and more once food processors came in. Currently I have a Magimix food processor which I use for everything but pavs/meringues; and have hand held electric beater for those.