The secret to great roast veges

lisa0077, Apr 12, 3:28am
Any help would be fantastic. I love crispy golden veges. How can I achieve this! Thanks

olwen, Apr 12, 3:41am
Parboil potatoes and drain well.Put a couple of tablespoons of semolina in afairly large plastic bag with a little smoked salt, freshly ground pepper, paprika and whatever else takes your fancy (I use some of ground coriande, cumin. sumac, and ground sichuan pepper or whatever else suits the meat).Put spuds in and toss to coat well.Put in roasting dish and sprinkle with cooing oil or spray with cooing spray (some underneath as well.Roast 1- 1 1/2 hour at 180 turning half way through

elliehen, Apr 12, 3:50am
Great hint.I've been sprinkling semolina underneath the bottom crust of a savoury pastry quiche/tart.It makes a crispy bottom.

lisa0077, Apr 12, 3:51am
Thanks very much for your suggestions

jimmy2102, Apr 12, 4:35am
As above and make sure fat or oil you roast in is hot, duck and goose fat are the best for roast vege

norse_westie, Apr 12, 4:37am
I've tried various things during the years but it seems to come down to good quality fat and relatively dry heat. I spray lightly on the top with rice bran oil and turn up the heat once the meat has been removed. Crispy outer and soft moist inner every time.

lisa0077, Apr 12, 4:50am
Mine always tend to stick to the bottom of the pan unless I have a decent amount of oil. Im doing them tonight without meat. Thanks :)

cookessentials, Apr 12, 7:13am
I always pre-cook my potatoes and kumara, till a knife "just" pierces the flesh. Hot oil, around the meat and straight in.

roseyglow, Apr 12, 7:30am
use none stick paper - will not stick

thornton1961, Apr 12, 8:27am
you need FAT !. duck, pork, beef, . dripping.you figured out now why roast veges arent the same as "the good ol days" !.and for the spuds you need those dirty, old school starchy potato's.

kiwibubbles, Apr 12, 8:41am
make sure the vegetables are VERY dry before putting them in the oven. i don't parboil them at all. once i've washed them i make sure they are dry, then put in a roasting dish that has baking paper on the bottom, sprinkle some oil in the dish (i usually use rice bran) and some salt, use my hands to cover each vegetable individually with the oil, and pop it in the oven on fan bake at 200 degs celsius til cooked - i usually turn veggies over after about 20-30 mins. I end up with lovely crispy veggies

falcon-hell, Apr 12, 8:56am
so true,my nana made awesome roast spuds,always crunchy and crispy-hmmmmm

kinna54, Apr 12, 10:20am
I gave up roasting veges in fat with the meat etc years ago. I par cookmy vege a few mins in a microwave,in a couple of TBSPS water, around 2 mins turn and repeat.(time depends on amount of veg)
Then blotjust to remove any moisture, and into a hot oven (pre heated dish with a little light oil to prevent sticking, and a little oil drizzled over the top.)
A few mins and they are golden and crispy,really crunchy. Turn over during cooking to ensure no sticking and even colour. I usually have them in the hot ovenaround 200-220deg, while my meat is "resting" in the warmer drawer, and other veges are cooking.
You can drain on a paper towel if desired and serve.
A healthier option using only a couple of TBSPS oil, than using a lot of deep fat, and my meat is always cooked in it's own juices.

xtownie, Apr 12, 10:53am
All I do is peel, dry, spray the roasting dish with cooking spray, put the veges in, spray the veges roast on 180d about every 1/2 hour take them out and spray them again, shake the dish around a bit, back in oven. When looking very close to ready, give them 1 more spray and crank oven up to 200 -220d for 5 - 10 mins. I do this and they are perfect every time!
I use oven bags to Roast the meat in and add lots of yummy fresh herbs to it, so the veges go in a separate dish in fan oven at same time

mattdylan, Apr 12, 10:02pm
Made these last night, have to say the Semolina is the goods! spuds turned out sooo crsipy and fluffy insdie, perfect thanks for posting!

vtired, Apr 12, 10:39pm
Agria potatos, hot oil, veges dusted w flour chick stk s & P and plenty of time. I start pots off in covered frypan first until partly cooked, add other veges and cook them until ready, take them out turn pan up without a lid and keep turning, works out beautiful and serve them straight from hot pan.