Info on cooking Kawahai (fish)

poppy62, Apr 8, 6:18am
Okay I dont know if I have spelt it right but anyway - I thought I was getting a bargain at Pak n Save a week ago when I bought some whole Kawahai. I got them home and proudly presented them to my hubby and he said "yuck! ! ! what did you buy them for" - from what he told me, if they are not bleed after they have been caught, they can taste dreadful? ? ? I don't know if they were treated properly after being caught, I can only assume so - My question is:What can I do with them? What would be the best way to cook them, or should I not bother?

angelwarrior, Apr 8, 6:20am
smoke them. then turn them into pie. imho, properly smoked kahawai is the second best tasting fish in the sea.

poppy62, Apr 8, 6:24am
Thank you. I have seen a recipie on doing them on the bbq that looked nice. I dont have a smoker either.

adragon, Apr 8, 6:36am
If your bbq has a hood you can make it into a smoker. Just soak some sawdust or woodchips in something (water or beer) drain then put sawdust into a aluminium tray or similar. Put into bbq over the flame until smoking. Put in the fish that has had lots of brown sugar spread over and smoke until cooked. If you can put the fish on a rack and not over the heat.

rainrain1, Apr 8, 6:38am
Blue Cod, Grouper, Crispy fried flounder... . the best! ! ! !

fruitluva2, Apr 8, 6:50am
Anyone see Ready steady cook last week and the youngish chef made a basil pastry-like and covered the whole fish with then baked. It looked yummo, we were out visiting and the volume was down so I have no idea what was said.

pickles7, Apr 8, 6:51am
A week ago? ? ? I would throw them out... my cat wouldn't even eat them.

poppy62, Apr 8, 6:55am
hey - thanks so much for that! It sounds so good.

poppy62, Apr 8, 6:56am
They have been in my freezer Pickles - should be okay.

snoopy221, Apr 8, 7:00am
Okily dokily IMHO yes ya got a good deal HOWEVER unless they were filletted and salted and froxen in bags of water they are either smokable-or cat food.
And adds IF they were filletted and salted and frozen in bags of water even six months later they could have been tawed out and barbecued or done in batter and they'd be as fresh and as good as.
However fish denatures when it goes under 0 degrees ice does not go below 0.
Simply freezing fish is done by putting it in a bag of water that turns to ice and preserves the fish

beaker59, Apr 8, 9:02am
Sure frozen whole is a big ask for Kahawai so I would only smoke them. Or maybe a fish curry of some sort. But Kahawai properly treated is a highly underated fish. Best properly bled when caught then like all fish gutted and iced ASAP granted its not the best fish as a fried fillet but still at its best as good as any. It is also excellent for Sushimi or Island style raw fish its one of the best smoked fish and quite nice baked whole.

wfl1, Apr 8, 9:20am
Properly smoked kawahai is lovely, I caught 6 a few weeks ago and smoked them slowly for six hours, used a mix of green manauka (ti-tree) and manauka saw dust. Before hand rubbed in a salt and brown sugar, I believe golden syrup can be used also. If this cannot be done I fillet skin and bone the fish and make fish cakes with the fillets.

poppy62, Apr 9, 2:38am
You people are brilliant - thanks so very much for all your advice. I think I will smoke them - seems to be the best thing and if they are still not nice then the stray cats in the paddocks can have them! !

jen51, Apr 17, 1:21am
throw them out. Kahwai should of been cookwed the same day you buy them. In my opinion they are value for money and I think they are beautiful tasting fish as long as cooked fresh. I love mine in breacrumbs fried in butter or raw fish. YUM

beaker59, Feb 6, 5:17pm
A small tip that really works with Kahawai fillets is to soak the fillets in milk first for a few hours it softens and sweetens the flavour and reduces the bitterness of the blood.