Easiyo yogurt?

creamkracker, Apr 29, 7:56am
Got given a easiyo home do it yourself kit what have you for home made yogurt tried it a couple times the yogurt is always runny. I think i heard someone say adding something to it or some little kitchen trick can make it come out properly however i forgot what it was :( Anyone care to divulge the culinary secrets of the easiyo yogurt!

peterg1, Apr 29, 8:53am
You drain off any liquid once the yoghurt has set. I do this every day. Have made Easyo for years and always comes out exactly the same.Make sure it sits for at least 8 to 10 hours then refrigerate immediately. The Greek yoghurt makes yummy yoghurt cheese, too. Drain through a chux cloth for several hours and add any herbs or flavours you like.

angel404, Apr 29, 9:17am
The only time our easiyo yoghurt is runny is when i dont leave it in there for long enough. IMO it needs to be in there a good 10hours. blueberry is my fav flavour :)

gardie, Apr 29, 6:51pm
Agree with angel - the longer you leave it, the better.I make mine a dinnertime and pop it in the fridge in the morning - 12 hours usually.

connor2003, Apr 29, 9:02pm
The liquid (whey) that is in the yoghurt can be frozen and used in baking instead of milk.Makes the baking lighter. I've done this for years. And yes, the longer you leave it sitting in the 'machine' the better it is.My favorites are apricot and forest berry.

kiwitrish, Apr 30, 1:27am
Well I nefver knew that.Thanks for the tip.

kobec9, Apr 30, 3:33am
I find when I use slightly warm water instead of cold when mixing together mine turns out slightly thicker.

beaker59, Apr 30, 3:38am
If its runny then it isn't getting warm enough either use warm water as Kobec suggested or more boiling water at the start. Time does matter but not as much as temp IMO

I use whole milk and culture rather than powder mixes. I warm the milk a little first.

245sam, Apr 30, 3:42am
I use both Easiyo and Hansell's sachets in our Easiyo Yoghurt Maker and have never had any problem with the yoghurt being runny but I always leave it in the Yoghurt Maker for 12 hours, sometimes longer if I forget to take it out after just 12 hours.I agree absolutely with other posters that the longer the yoghurt is left in the yoghurt maker, the thicker and IMO the better the yoghurt is.
I use cold tap water with the sachet mix, and boiling water in the yoghurt maker.

Hope that helps.:-))

nauru, Apr 30, 4:34am
I do this too. I also use it in my breadmaking instead of plain water, makes a lovely soft crusted bread.

kay141, Apr 30, 4:42am
I only use Easiyo natural with water out of the cold tap and just follow the instructions on the packet. Probably leave it there for 12 hours and never had a runny one yet. I don't like the flavoured ones nor the Hansells ones I tried. I vary the flavours when I eat it by adding fruit, jam, marmalade or syrup depending on my mood.

janny3, Apr 30, 12:17pm
You can add another 1cm of boiling water into the maker in cooler weather.Also once youve shaken the powder into 1/2 the jar you can also top up your cold water and sachet mixture with warm water. I leave the entire container in the hot water cupboard but some ppl also seal a layer of tin foil under the top lid of the maker to ensure heat retention and wrap the entire maker in a towel to maintain temp.

"Leave undisturbed for 10-12 hours. In cold temperatures, wrap with a towel, or place in your hot water cupboard to set. If you forget and leave the container inside the Real Yoghurt Maker, the yoghurt will not spoil up to 24 hours. Once set, place Real Yoghurt in the refrigerator. Some separation may occur. Lightly stir before serving to produce a smooth texture."

http://www.hansells.com/ourfoods/browseourrange/Hansells/RealYoghurtMaker.aspx