Can I replace cream with plain yogurt??

andi.surf, Jul 28, 1:48am
Trying to watch our weight here. Am I able to replace cream and/or sour cream with plain yogurt in pastas and curries ? Other dishes too? Cheers for any tips

nauru, Jul 28, 1:50am
I do this all the time and dishes turn out good.

neil_di, Jul 28, 3:06am
sometimes yoghurt splits in cooked mixtures but generally ok. Also try low fat carnation milk. . thats a good alternative for curries.

cookessentials, Jul 28, 4:22am
Yes. You are always best to add it last, once your dish has cooked through. Turn off and gently stir the yohurt through till combined.

cap, Jul 28, 5:28am
The light Carnation coconut evaporated milk is fabulous in curries. I used to watch Graham Kerr's "Minimax" cooking show some years ago and he used yoghurt a lot in cooking but he used to tip it in a sieve lined with paper towels and let it drain so it would get thick.

nauru, Jul 28, 6:31am
I make my own greek yoghurt and drain it to make it thicker. I've never had a problem with it splitting during cooking either.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 28, 6:50am
Greek yoghurt will have more fat content in which case you might as well use cream. Probably the lower the fat content, the more likely you are to get splitting?

nauru, Jul 28, 7:46am
I always use a low fat one with no problems. Still way lower in fat than cream which is around 35%

bedazzledjewels, Jul 28, 7:52am
Thanks for that Nauru. I guess too it comes down to how much is being used too.

accroul, Jul 28, 11:36pm
Most of the time you can... just not in coffee! ! !

wildflower, Dec 7, 7:05pm
Lite sour cream is good, I use that all the time if a recipe says sour cream.