NZ Hottest Home Baker

Page 3 / 12
rainrain1, Apr 27, 3:00am
I am just making myself a nice new craft room, so I willbe able to make the drinks.

daleaway, Apr 27, 3:09am
Bags I the eclair - if Norah Batty doesn't get it first.

elliehen, Apr 27, 4:22am
Cheers ears right back at you!Let's party :)

miri_s, Apr 27, 5:46am
Has anyone from these boards actually ever auditioned, or even competed, for one of the shows of this format!Either Home Baker or Masterchef!

There must be one or two lurking around here with the talent and sense of adventure to have given it a go!

gardie, Apr 27, 6:39am
My daughter told me I should have entered when she saw what was produced.Does that count!

elliehen, Apr 27, 7:11am
davidt4 said in another thread that she had a relative in the current series of Masterchef - she didn't name the contestant or say whether he/she is still there.

kokopuff, Apr 27, 7:24am

kokopuff, Apr 27, 7:24am
http://www.tv3.co.nz/Shows/NZsHottestHomeBaker/Cast.aspx
Esme Dawson, IRD Investigator from Lower Hutt

miri_s, Apr 27, 8:55am
There's always the next series!Maybe they need you to raise the bar :-)

deus701, Apr 27, 9:04am
ironically i have a friend who competed in the current nz hottest home baker, made it until the top 8 till the producers changed their mind and decided she was more of a professional than a baker (since she does some cake deco which she taught herself from books, and never was formally trained.and was dropped.

Just had a glance at my fb page.with her posting how watching the 1st episode gave her closure.and below her post, is dean brettschneider's post about this great show currently showing thursdays 7.30pm =)

But in other news.Australia has won the Asian Pastry Cup 2012 held overnight in Singapore, with Malaysia coming in second and Singapore third. All 3 teams, plus first time entry and fourth place the New Zealand team, are now eligible to compete in Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie (World Pastry Cup) next year in January to be held in Lyon, France, together with Japan, Taiwan and South Korea who are automatic entries from Asia. Congratulations to all teams.

miri_s, Apr 27, 9:15am
How silly that they would eliminate someone with true professionalpotential in favour of contestents who fit the description of"weekend" bakers!I hope your friend hasn't been put off by the experience and is still practising her art :-)

Great to hear about the NZ team placing 4th in the pastry champs.

falcon-hell, Apr 27, 9:30am
my money is on esme to win.

duckmoon, Apr 27, 10:49am
One of the conditions of entry is that you havent worked in any hospitality.
I worked in a little cake shop/cafe when I was a student nurse, worked 8 hours per weekend. It makes me ineligible for home bakers. Because I have been paid for it.

BUT if I wanted to go into master chef, if you haven't been paid for 15 years, you can enter

duckmoon, Apr 27, 10:49am
Anyone with some cooking nous, would have had a little job at some point in the hospitality industry

kokopuff, Apr 27, 11:44pm
I have to agree with you there.

falcon-hell, Apr 28, 12:31am
we are both geniuses then.

miri_s, Apr 28, 12:33am
Looks a little bit pokey for me.

miri_s, Apr 28, 12:37am
I was aware there were rules about prior experience, but I'd no idea they were quite so rigid.

Interesting that they accepted Matt then.I would be inclined to think that his experience with butchering would stand him in much better stead, than anyone who had simply done a bit of customer service at a cafe (although I do realise that sometimes these positions do require a certain amount of food prep and presentation).

Not that his knife skills seem to be doing him to many favours over the last couple of episodes!

elliehen, Apr 28, 12:57am
Think of the army of window cleaners you'd keep busy, not to mention cohorts of workers needed for general housekeeping and gardening.you could make a big dent in the numbers of Auckland's unemployed :)

duckmoon, Apr 28, 4:30am
i did the cooking in the cafe, while the other staff member did the serving, and I came out of the kitchen during the lunch time rush.

but I didn't learn anything from the owners - they were trained themselves, so what I learned was just from doing it a hundred times.

Personally, I would love to do some of their builk catering challenges. Getting a meal out for a 100 peoples sounds like fun to me

duckmoon, Apr 28, 4:31am
it si 1000sq metres.
a BIG house is 250 square metres. so it is 4 times that.

slimgym, Apr 28, 2:26pm
we loved the twins shame they didnt get through, and we noticed an older lady who didnt get any air time so as you say you knew who was going through

kokopuff, May 1, 5:38am
Yes I think so falcon-hell.

bedazzledjewels, May 3, 5:48am
Round 2 tonight. I hope the standard fits a bit.

rainrain1, May 3, 6:06am
Can't wait to pick holes in their cakes