NZ Hottest Home Baker

Page 2 / 12
elliehen, Apr 27, 1:02am
.and this was a thread starter - not an answer to a question.

rainrain1, I think you have a mild dose of foodie's remorse.It's like the common cold - everyone gets it from time to time, even those who have sworn off everything remotely connected with sugar ;)

doc311, Apr 27, 1:03am
I watched, pretty average hope it gets better, but I don't get radio reception were I live and I would like to know if anyone heard the question on the breeze this morning for the competition!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 27, 1:03am
I would think it's edited retrospectively. They know who was going to make the cut and just focussed on them. This isn't going out live.

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:06am
oh yeah, I realise that. but the editing is so predictable, you can almost guess the typecasting in the first few episodes!. Same editors working on the same shows!

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:08am
If I wasnt so stuffed up with the flu today, I think I would be tempted to give the baking a wee whirl today, I feel quite inspired lol

bedazzledjewels, Apr 27, 1:11am
VK - sorry, I was replying to #24. Should have mentioned it.

daleaway, Apr 27, 1:17am
24 here - yes I know all that, I'm just wondering why a NZ programme would buy into all that overseas reality TV manipulation.
My husband and I were sitting there saying they'll take him, they won't take her etc - we know what sort of a visual lineup they prefer in their finalists. And how right we were, except we did not predict two males instead of the one token. All very predicatble, as you say#29.

I notice the judges have also been cutied up a notch. Would really love to see judges of the calibre of Alison Holst, Lois Daysh, Jo Seagar and so forth. but older ladies on TV, forget it. Apparently it's against the law.and the young male demographic they are trying to entice by including male contestants would switch back to sports. Or summat.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 27, 1:20am
I'd like to see it modelled on the very good British show, with, as you name Daleaway, some of NZ's classic bakers judging.

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:26am
demographics and programming and what the advertising dollar's target market is, which for this series I would say 25-50, middle class housewives/ mums, and those women listed above don't fit into the mould.

daleaway, Apr 27, 1:37am
It's the "mould" that I am disdainful of. TV is not about delivering programmes to audiences, but about delivering consumers up to advertisers.

Too bad so many of us are more mature than their target market, but still baking and still spending money. The forgotten genre.

And as #33 indicates, the UK show did not fall down this self-dug hole. It was streets better than NZ's cheap, kindergarten effort.

indy95, Apr 27, 1:40am
I think you are probably right, and if that is so then someone is missing the point completely. They may not " fit the mould " but they are extremely knowledgable andhighly respected and would give the programme a much-needed lift in standards. Anyone who saw the UK programme which screened here last year will recall that one of the judges was Mary Berry who is at least in her late seventies.

taurus2005, Apr 27, 1:40am
Wonder why they have to wear those horrible pink polka dot aprons,makes the whole programme look cheap.

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:43am
I agree with you completely, and our version is cheesy compared with overseas programmes

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:44am
Anyway, I will watch the next episode if I can, and see what next week brings!

rainrain1, Apr 27, 1:49am
I've never made that one, and quite often I post recipes that I haven't made hoping someone else might enjoy them.
Seems like you are the only one allowed an opinion round here (and a mile long one at that), and if you don't like anyone else's you bump up old threads, just like a little catty 6 year old would do.

indy95, Apr 27, 1:53am
Me too. There is a sort of horrible fascination about the whole thing which means I just cannottear myself away !

vintagekitty, Apr 27, 1:55am
lol just like watching those big fat chawners

indy95, Apr 27, 2:00am
Actually no, that programme just makes me so angry I've decided it is not good for my blood pressure.

rainrain1, Apr 27, 2:01am
vintagekitty wrote:
I do on occasion. Dont you ever go out with friends for coffee and cake!.
The show is NZ hottest HOME BAKER, that features, um BAKING[/quote

As a matter of fact I prefer savoury to sweet.um so there you go

mwood, Apr 27, 2:03am
The twins should be given their own Reality show - loved it when they couldn't believe they lost LOL

elliehen, Apr 27, 2:25am
rainrain1, you are too defensive.

I haven't bumped an old thread.I simply posted a sugary recipe of yours similar to the ones you were grumpily finding fault with.

And I have absolutely no illusions about my own opinions.They are as worthy or as worthless as any one cares to find them :)

elliehen, Apr 27, 2:46am
Smile :)

rainrain1, Apr 27, 2:50am
that's the one :-)))

daleaway, Apr 27, 2:54am
Come on, you're both nice helpful ladies.
Stop all this knifing and forking around, and start spooning.

elliehen, Apr 27, 2:56am
I've brought afternoon tea - with a savoury plate for rainrain :)