Roast a chicken

taurus2005, Apr 23, 8:15pm
or buy a ready roasted from the supermarket!Had a friend over last night who told me of the lovely roast chicken dinnershe made with all the trimmings,made me jealous.Just dont know how to attempt roasts, seems so hard.Sounds dumb I know but I am more of the thai / indian curry kind of cook.

daisyk, Apr 23, 8:19pm
I struggle with roasts too, but I'd love to be able to cook Thai / Indian "happily" like you.we need to do cooking stuff together and learn each others skills.

dezzie, Apr 23, 9:34pm
Roasts are truly simple, read the packet the chicken comes in for cooking temps and times, peel the veges of your choice and have them in the roasting dish with the chicken an hour before you want to have dinner, and bobs your uncle, to make "proper" gravy, after you have taken the chicken and vege out of the roasting dish, pour in a bit of the water from your other vege (peas carrots whatever) give the pan a good scratch about with a fork or whisk, heat until boiling (either in the roasting dish on the element or pour into a pot after you have got all the good bits off the bottom of the roasting dish) thicken with either a flour and water, or cornflour and water slurry, salt and pepper to taste, let it simmer a wee while to cook out the flour (about 5 minutes) enjoy!

taurus2005, Apr 23, 9:46pm
That would be so cool - swap cooking classes,I have always toyed with the idea of starting cooking classes from home .need to work on this instead of thinking about it.

taurus2005, Apr 23, 9:48pm
Thanks, yum.maybe I will have a go tonight. hubby can have it with chilli as he likes everything spicy.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 10:01pm
Here you go, this is from the cooking class 101 thread that i have also just bumped up.

brianmac (133 )10:53 am, Thu 30 Aug #6

How to roast a chicken 1x chicken;prepared stuffing;60g butter;1 cup water;1x chicken stock cube;salt & pepper. If using stuffing,fill this loosely into chicken as it will swell during cooking. Secure vent with a small skewer (if not using stuffing,throw a lemon inside.) Put chicken into roasting dish,rub well with softened butter(especially on the breast and legs) add salt & pepper. cont.

brianmac (133 )11:02 am, Thu 30 Aug #7

Add water & crumbled stock cube to pan Roast in mod hot oven for 30 mins, thwen brush chicken well with pan juices.Move chicken around a little in the pan so the skin does not stick during cooking. Add an extra 1/2 cup of water to the pan if water evaporates too quickly.Continue cooking until chicken is tender;allow approx 1 1/2 hours for a 1.5 kg chicken. Brush with juices about every 15 minutes.Twice,during cooking time(if not using stuffin) tilt chicken so that any water in the cavity runs out (the water slows down cooking time)To test if cooked, pierce with skewer at the thick second Joint(just near the leg)-juices should run clear,not pink,the skin will start to shrink slightly from the bones cont.

brianmac (133 )11:07 am, Thu 30 Aug #8

Additional flavourings can be added toward the end og the cooking time.For Chinese roast chicken,add combined 1/2 cup dry sherry,1 tbsp soy sauce,1 tsp grated green ginger and i tbsp of honey to pan during the last 15 mins of cooking time.Brush chicken frequently with pan drippings.

taurus2005, Apr 23, 10:42pm
Thanks cookessentials

sue1955, Apr 24, 1:02am
Just don't do what one of the women on the show "The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills" did on the last show. Her friend was showing her how to roast a chicken & told her to wash it first. So she did - with liquid soap! She was then told that when it was cooked to bring it out of the oven & to let it stand before serving it. She couldn't understand how to make it stand upright!

pheebs1, Apr 24, 1:14am
i would just say when you make gravy from the roasting dish take the vege and meat out
then
if suitable pop it on the hob in low and sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour first not after the water unless you want lumps

so it will sizzle away for a bit in the chicken fat cook for a min pour in 1-2 cups boiling water then scratch around to get all the yummy bits off the bottom for de glazing
i use a wisk
lump free perfect gravy everytime

sieve if you want it lump free

cookessentials, Apr 24, 1:25am
Also from the cooking class 101 thread below.

A good gravy 4 tbsp plain flour; 3 1/2 cups water;4 beef stock cubes;salt & pepper. Remove roast meat from roasting pan and keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove over med heat. Bring pan drippings to the boil,reduce heat and simmer till all juices have evaporated and only fat remains.Pour off excess fat -leaving approx 6 tbsp of fat. Leave dish over med heat,add flour,stir until combined with fat. cont.

brianmac (133 )10:37 am, Thu 30 Aug #2

Remove baking dish from heat add water,all at once,stirring constantly (I often use a whisk)Continue stirring till flour and water are combined;add crumbled stock cubes.Return baking dish to heat,stir till sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt & pepper.Simmer uncovered for about three minutes.This will serve six. As a tip -for a light gravy, I add a little white wine and for a dark gravy a little red wine. I also use the vegetable water.

mwood, Apr 24, 4:58am
Learn to make a "Roast Dinner" first
1. Buy a ready roasted chicken from the supermarket for your first few starts
2. Prepare root vegetables for roasting, pumpkin, potato, parsnip will do for beginners peel cut to size and microwave in high in a bowl for about five minutes, add some oil to the bowl, swirl round to coat with the oil then place them inroasting tray in a preheated 200 C oven for say 1 hour before service.
3. Boil some peas and carrots in the stove top
4. Mix and make a packet gravy
5. Put the plates in the oven to warm up when you switch it off
6. Re-heat the chicken in the microwave
You are now ready to serve your first Roast Dinner and you can now build variations and improvements on this - next time maybe roast the chicken, make a gravy, do boiled cauliflower, make a white sauce for the boiled vege etc etc

mwood, Apr 24, 4:58am
Learn to make a "Roast Dinner" first
1. Buy a ready roasted chicken from the supermarket for your first few starts
2. Prepare root vegetables for roasting, pumpkin, potato, parsnip will do for beginners peel cut to size and microwave on high in a bowl for about five minutes, add some oil to the bowl, swirl round to coat with the oil then place them inroasting tray in a preheated 200 C oven for say 1 hour before service.
3. Boil some peas and carrots in the stove top
4. Mix and make a packet gravy
5. Put the plates in the oven to warm up when you switch it off
6. Re-heat the chicken in the microwave
You are now ready to serve your first Roast Dinner and you can now build variations and improvements on this - next time maybe roast the chicken, make a gravy, do boiled cauliflower, make a white sauce for the boiled vege etc etc

kiwibubbles, Apr 24, 10:22am
let us know how it goes. a roast meal is seriously simple :)

beaker59, Apr 25, 11:09am
This is how I do it too, I substutute as much water as I can with water the veges were boiled in including any potato water and only use stock if It really needs it. Pref real stock but cubes are OK if you must.

taurus2005, Apr 25, 11:12pm
I think tonight I will roast a chicken for sure.Oven bag or not Oven bag!

gaspodetwd, Apr 25, 11:27pm
Best ever gravy for chicken is
To add cut onions, carrots, celery to the pan that you roast with the chicken in. Grind some fresh black pepper over the chicken and add one clove of garlic and a bay leaf to the pan.
Cook the chicken. Then add a splash of wine and some hot water to the juices and Veges in the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate everything. Run through a sieve and then thicken with Cornflour.

gaspodetwd, Apr 25, 11:28pm
No oven bag! Try the gravy - its amazing! So you don't want a bag.

olishea, Apr 26, 12:38am
no fail easy roast chicken.
stuff with one whole lemon, slice of apple and slice of onion, place in roasting dish and add water to bottom of dish (about 5-10cm) depending on size of chicken. so moist and yum!

beaker59, Apr 26, 2:23am
Chckens roast soo easy these days I would say without oven bag to get some crispy skin and therefore flavour.

taurus2005, Apr 27, 4:45am
Well, I cooked the chicken - bit of a nightmare I must say.Cooked for couple of hours but think it could have done with more.Roasted and even steamed some veges, while I was making the gravy, my steamed veges went cold,While I was cutting the chicken, the whole dinner went cold.What and adventure.
Today, went back to what I know best - have made biriyani with the left over chicken.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

taurus2005, Apr 27, 4:45am
Well, I cooked the chicken last night- bit of a nightmare I must say.Cooked for couple of hours but think it could have done with more.Roasted and even steamed some veges, while I was making the gravy, my steamed veges went cold,While I was cutting the chicken, the whole dinner went cold.What an adventure.
Today, went back to what I know best - have made biriyani with the left over chicken.
Thanks for all your suggestions.

beaker59, Apr 27, 4:47am
You had some timing issues we all have that have another go in a few weeks and you will find it much much more succesful. As for dinner cold thats what Microwaves were invented for :)

dezzie, Apr 27, 6:08am
lol beaker, I think thats why steaming hot gravy was invented for as well.
Good on you for giving it a go taurus, next time you'll have learned a bit more from this time and do it a wee bit different until you work it out in a way that suits you.