Sugarfree Marmalade

Page 1 / 3
anabelles, Apr 21, 3:19am
My Husband has very sucessfully lost 10kg in the past 2 months but the one thing he misses is his grapefruit marmalade for breakfast. I know it is a while before grapefruit is in season but has anyone got a recipe for sugar free marmalade please!

elliehen, Apr 21, 4:24am
This may be helpful; on the other hand, it may not.

I did a search in past threads for sugar-free marmalade and this is all I could find.

elliehen, Apr 21, 4:30am
Rose's English Breakfast Marmalade, though it is made from Seville and Valencia Oranges (in Australia) has quite a grapefruit 'bite' to it and has only 10.0 g of sugar per serving.

Your husband might be able to incorporate this moderate amount into his breakfast without consequences.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:38am
I have another suggestion for "low sugar" rather than "no sugar" marmalade. Without looking up the recipe I use I can tell you that it calls for X amount of fruit, sugar and water. I keep to the recipe when it comes to the sugar and water, but Instead of using the miserable 4 or 5 grapefruit called for, I just use the whole bucket. This gives ME (because I am an intuitive cook) a most intensely citrus flavoured marmalade, that is lower in sugar. It keeps just as well and it sets just as well.

I have given jars away to people who claim they don't like marmalade all that much and yet come back weeks later enquiring, politely, if I have anymore to give away.

I also don't restrict myself to grapefruit. We have citrus trees for Africa so I also use the same recipe but use a bucket combination of Navel oranges, Meyer lemons and tangeloes. This is great for those foolhardy people on statins.

anabelles, Apr 21, 4:39am
Thanks, so far we have avoided using artificial sweetners so will look out for Roses Marmalade. Would still like to use my grapefruit when it ripens though

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:45am
Roses marmalade uses an artificial sweetner. It may be identified by number rather than product. I think the artificial sweeteners numbers range from 550 to 560 or something similar. Look it up.

cgvl, Apr 21, 4:47am
there is another brand called St Dalfour and is made using fruit juice from memoery no added sugar so maybe what you are looking for. They do nice jams too.

makespacenow, Apr 21, 4:53am
Use pecting stock. I posted recipe earlier search on the left.pectin makes stuff jell so you can make jams chutneys etc sugar free.we have been making them for ages my grandma was diabetic and made them even 40+ years ago sugarfree.

elliehen, Apr 21, 5:22am
Not correct.

Ingredients:
Sugar, Seville and Valencia oranges (43%), Glucose syrup from wheat, vegetable gum (pectin), food acid (330)

Note: 330 is citric acid, NOT an artificial sweetener

angel404, Apr 21, 5:37am
ouch - its over half sugar - thats a lot of sugar! But sugar is better than artificial sweetener.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:39am
Glucose syrup is sugar my sweet! Not only that it is the bulk of the product. Assuming that pectin is less than 2% then glucose syrup takes up 55% of the product. It is not a low calorie, healthy food that the OP is after.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:39am
Glucose syrup is sugar my sweet! Not only that it is the bulk of the product. Assuming that pectin is less than 2% then glucose syrup takes up 55% of the product. It is not a low calorie, healthy food that the OP is after.

Glucose syrup, may not be artificial but it is still sugar.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:41am
For your information:

Sucrose - (common table sugar) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose.

daleaway, Apr 21, 5:45am
Buzzy if you care to put up your multfruit marmalade recipe(s),I would be glad of it.

Like you we have a lot of citrus and try to rein in our sugar consumption.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:48am
Here is one I use. Like I said before I just muck around with fruit combinations and quantities. Instead of the pitiful amount of fruit I just gather up an overfilled 10litre bucket of whatever is there and set to. I have some large pots so it is easy for me.

ORANGE & LEMON MARMALADE
5 Oranges,
2 Lemons,
5 ½ lbs Sugar
5 pints of water.
Squeeze juice into a large pan, mince the skins and add to juice, boil for 3/4 hour
Add sugar and boil for 3/4 hour fast
When at setting stage, bottle in sterile jars

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:51am
for the grapefruit marmalade I just select one from Aunt Daisy. Usually the soak overnight one - still using the same amount of water and sugar.

daleaway, Apr 21, 5:52am
Thank you. Printed out ready for the ring binder!

buzzy110, Apr 21, 5:54am
I saved this post from Pickles last year. this recipe looks like a winner, but once again, I'd just use a full bucket. I invested in a thermometer but I don't think I'll be making any marmalade this year. I still have 1 doz jars from last year because we have stopped eating sugar.

THREE FRUIT MARMALADE
preserving pan
sugar thermometer
1 kg of grapefruit [poor-mans oranges]
1 kg navel oranges
2 lemons
4 liters water
5 kg white sugar
slice the fruit thinly, discard pips.
Put the fruit into the preserving pan
cover with the water and leave overnight.
Next morning bring the fruit to the boil and simmer uncovered for 1&1/2 hours.
warm the sugar in the oven
Remove from heat and stir in 5 kg of warmed sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then return the pan to the heat
Boil hard until it reaches 222%F---107%C
heat jars in the oven, boil lids
Put into hot jars and seal. I re use jam jars that self seal.
I don't test jams any more, messsssssy, just use the sugar thermometer.
pickles7 (488)8:55 am, Wed 5 Oct #2

elliehen, Apr 21, 5:59am
It's all about moderation.One serving is 10g.

I suppose for those who can't control their portions, total abstinence would be the answer ;)

elliehen, Apr 21, 6:07am
daleaway, both the recipes posted will yield marmalade with 50% sugar content. That's the nature of jams and jellies.

If you want to rein in consumption of added sugar in marmalade, strict limiting of portion control is the only alternative to abstinence - difficult for everyone except monks and nuns ;)

buzzy110, Apr 21, 6:26am
daleway you can make up your own mind whether adding 3 or 4 times the amount of fruit to a recipe will yield up a marmalade that is 50% sugar or not. Personally, I think it makes a lower sugar marmalade than one that only uses the specified amount of fruit.

You will definitely be getting more fruit per serve than if you used the lesser amount of fruit.

As ellihen says, no sugar is the ideal and one that I am all in favour of, not because I cannot control myself, but because I do not think that sugar, in whatever amount, is something I require in my diet, especially with my family health history and that of my DH's. In the meantime, I have no problems cooking and giving stuff away to people who do not have my self-control and if I can make that food taste even better than the original recipe writer intended, that is better.

elliehen, Apr 21, 6:35am
No, she did not.

She said (I have it from the best source and it is verifiable in her posts above) that it is the nature of jams and marmalade to be full of sugar and the best way to avoid excess sugar is to exercise portion control.

Failing that, you can try abstinence ;)

buzzy110, Apr 21, 6:48am
Mmmm. There is a difference between abstinence and no sugar! Oh well if you don't want me to agree with you that is fine elli. As another poster said, in another board, "It must be so tiring being a hater. Every day you have to remind yourself to hate the hated thing."

She is right. It must be tiring, and also injurious to the wellbeing of the person who constantly hates.

elliehen, Apr 21, 6:56am
No again.

There is no difference between 'abstaining from sugar' and 'no sugar', but you must try harder not to misrepresent me.

Quote me, but don't paraphrase me.You either pretend not to understand, or you do understand and then twist it to suit your purposes.

Once again, I did NOT say that 'no sugar' was the 'ideal'.You did.It's your ideal.Mine is moderation.I like sugar in moderation.

There - all in short sentences.easy to understand.

makespacenow, Apr 21, 2:24pm
Op did you find the pectin stock recipe!