Sugarfree Marmalade

Page 2 / 3
anabelles, Apr 21, 8:54pm
Sorry about all the arguing from my origional question!
Thanks for contributing nevertheless!
I am thinking that maybe "no marmalade" at all will be the answer.
However a pectin stock recipe could be very helpful please!

buzzy110, Apr 21, 9:26pm
Hi anabelles. I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and will trial some sugarfree marmalades this season just because I have a glut of fruit and I'll have lots of time. I hope you get this message. If I come up with a good recipe I'll have another poster, who lives nearby, post it for you. I won't because of the way threads turn toxic when I try to help anyone at all.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 9:26pm
Hi anabelles. I have decided to put my money where my mouth is and will trial some sugarfree marmalades this season just because I have a glut of fruit and I'll have lots of time. I hope you get this message. If I come up with a good recipe I'll have another poster, who lives nearby, post it for you. I won't because of the way threads turn toxic when I try to help anyone at all.

Pectin is easy to make from slightly unripe grapefruit. As the very best marmalade is also made from slightly unripe grapefruit, there is no need to bother making extra unless you want to use it in other jams and jellies.

buddynz1, Apr 21, 9:39pm
Being a type 2 diabetic I have tried all the sugar free marmalades and they are absolutely horrible ,,roses is ok but probably the best in taste

elliehen, Apr 21, 11:13pm
With any other fruit than citrus, you can stew it and reduce it until it is a pulp suitable for spreading on toast.

If anyone is really keen for a sugar-free spread which has no sugar and also no artificial sweetener, have a look at the pureed jars of babyfood in the supermarket and you might find a little jar of plain thick fruit with no additives of any kind, similar to applesauce.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 11:17pm
The best way to control sugar in jams is to not eat bread, then you don't need any jams!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 21, 11:17pm
The best way to control sugar in jams is to not eat bread, then you don't need any jams! (joke).
Reminds me - I've got some ancient jars in my pantry that I must biff out.

elliehen, Apr 21, 11:27pm
But annabelles' husband is missing his marmalade on toast and he is probably of an age when he does not want another mum telling him what he should and shouldn't eat ;)

buzzy110, Apr 22, 12:10am
Lol. And don't add it to unsweetened yoghurt or use it to make Duck-la-orange. And definitely stay away from homemade sticky ribs or sweet and sour. There is no end to the foods that you can add a 'nice' shot of some sugary substance to. I watched someone add ¼ of a squeeze pottle of golden syrup into her beef mince meal and how many times have I seen sugar/golden syrup recommended as an additive to corned beef!

Luckily jam and marmalade taste vile with salads and raw vegetables, which also supress the desire for sugary food, even fresh fruit.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 12:16am
Buzz - I could be tempted though by a lovely quince jelly.

makespacenow, Apr 22, 12:23am
you do know there are sugarfree jams!
They are called fruit spreads as NZ law does not allow anything containing less than 40% of sugar to be called 'jam'
you can use pectin stock (search in recipes) to make fruit set.
or you can use natural stevia to sweeten things (might take some time to get to used to the taste but my kids now eat leaves off the plants :) )

makespacenow, Apr 22, 12:25am
try to make your own - they will taste very good, my grandma was diabetic used to make own pectin stock and her 'jam' and marmaledes always tasted just like the fruit, as she only used the fruit, bit of lemon juice and pectin stock.
to this day I do the same . the jams actually taste like the fruit you use not just sweet .
and if you make several batches you will have slightly different taste - as the fruit ripens etc.

elliehen, Apr 22, 1:03am
What about a quince or fig paste with cheese!

Serious question BJ.do the temptations ever leave you completely!Or do you reach that level at nirvana!

I like to think that no food is my enemy, a thing to be feared and avoided, though some foods are more friendly than others ;)

anabelles, Apr 22, 1:57am
Thank you buzzy110. I seldom use Trade me Community for the same reason you mention - I doubt if I will bother with it any more. I will try and experiment with pectin idea. Thanks.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 2:06am
Lol Ellie. I'm not wringing my hands in angst at what I choose not to eat! With quince jelly I think it's that distinctive gorgeous smell that I love. It would taste way too sweet to my palate now anyway. No food anxiety here, just pure enjoyment.
Getting back to smell of quinces - feijoas are like that too, although I do have one of those from time to time. And I've got persimmons on my little tree that I'll be enjoying soon too, if the birds don't get to them first. Must tie a cat or two to the tree!

elliehen, Apr 22, 3:09am
My persimmon tree is changing colour fast.I suppose in the North the leaves stay green a lot longer.

I have discovered a hillside of persimmon trees nearby and last year was invited to take all I could carry and come back for more :)

davidt4, Apr 22, 3:10am
There was a leafletthe other dayin my iHerb parcel promoting a d'Alfour kumquat marmalade.Amongst the serving suggestions were 1.a blob with grilled salmon 2. a blob with lasagne.Blerk, double blerk.

Dazz - are your persimmons a non-astringent variety!If so they will make a very good addition to a Greek salad, or a salad of oranges, olives ands red onion.Peel them and cut into wedges.

elliehen, Apr 22, 3:20am
That's a useful tip.I usually eat them while they're crisp, like apples, although I know some prefer to eat them mushy with yoghurt on top.

My owntree is the non-astringent Persimmon Fuyu (Diospyros Kaki) and fruits have the flattened shape of a tomato.The astringent variety I have seen have a more pear-shaped form.

buzzy110, Apr 22, 3:23am
We have a tree if you would like some when they are ready davidt4. We also have quava and feijoa. Shall I drop some at your letterbox for eating!

And yes - blerk, and double blerk to both those suggestions.

davidt4, Apr 22, 3:37am
Thanks Buzzy, that's a kind thought, but our next door neighbours are keeping us more than well-supplied!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 4:37am
DT4 - I've got both types of persimmons. I leave the astringent ones to the birds. My other 2 non-astringent trees are quite small still, but both have a few fruits on them.
Ellie - a hillside of persimmon trees with those beautiful autumn colours must be spectacular.

elliehen, Apr 22, 5:57am
It is very dramatic.it was planted by an immigrant from Greece.

The word 'Diospyros', the genus of my tree, means 'the fire of Zeus' in ancient Greek.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 5:59am
Would love to see a photo please Ellie!

elliehen, Apr 22, 6:08am
I'll make a note and come back in late May ;)

bedazzledjewels, Apr 22, 6:46am
Oh good. The hillside behind Arrowtown was starting to look spectacular 10 days ago.
We seem to have drifted away from marmalade! Sorry poster#1.